Active Topics

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
I'm lifting this out of the kernel-power thread because it doesn't pertain to the actual topic as such, and also gets lost in the mix in that huge thread.

What I want to do to be able to easily switch between different kernel presets is to create desktop shortcuts that I can then call up from the status menu. This has the obvious advantage of not having to revert to the desktop to for instance call up a QBW made for that purpose. Also it's much faster than calling up the terminal and enter the appropriate command line or browsing the cache for it, even if you like me have the terminal accessible from the system (power button) menu.

There's a package called quick-launch that will give you four buttons in a row in the status menu that you can bind .desktop files to. It's probably possible to achieve that with just a little tweaking of your own, but that surpasses my knowledge, and also, since I'm not using quick-launch for anything else, it fits perfectly.

So, now all I've gotta do is create the corresponding .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/hildon. This is what I've come up with:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=KP DSP
GenericName=Set kernel-power preset "DSP"
Icon=kp_dsp
Exec=osso-xterm "sudo kernel-config load dsp"
Type=Application
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=false
Terminal=true
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true
Now, this does give me the wanted result, however I would like some help tweaking it. What happens when you select each preset is that the xterm window briefly opens and closes as the command is applied. What I wanted was for the xterm window not to open at all, and also for the terminal output ("successfully loaded") to be shown in that yellow overlay popup ribbon instead as confirmation for each button press. I thought NoDisplay and StartupNotify would render this result, but apparently not so.

Does anybody feel up to helping me with the final tweaking on this to make it just the way I wanted?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Does using run-standalone.sh open a new window too?

just use queenbeecon widget great an easy ...

http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_Widget

good luck

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Does using run-standalone.sh open a new window too?
Yes, that doesn't help.

Originally Posted by stevomanu View Post
just use queenbeecon widget great an easy ...
I already addressed that in the first post. My method is arguably "greater and easier". And it works as is; I'm just looking for that last little GUI tweak to bring it over the top.

Last edited by bocephus; 2011-11-29 at 15:37.