Active Topics

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hello,

I ran dmesg and got quite a lot of errors like this:

Code:
correctable ECC error = 0x5555, addr1 0xa, addr8 0x0
Complete output is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1420887/dmesg.txt

Rebooted approx. 3 times and output is always like this.

My N9 is a bit older than a year and I really hope that doesn't mean it's failing?

Thanks,
b.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
its a feature, just ignore those lines
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I've had them too. But it disappeared. Flash memory will fail, that's why the ECC is there. I guess at some point the controller will swap the faulty block for a fresh spare one, so the errors go away.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I've had them too. But it disappeared. Flash memory will fail, that's why the ECC is there. I guess at some point the controller will swap the faulty block for a fresh spare one, so the errors go away.
Those errors relate to main memory, not flash memory. It basically means that a bit flip was detected and corrected. It does not mean the memory failing and won't affect performance unless you are getting at least somewhere in the region of tens of thousands of errors a day. There are a number of reasons why correctable memory errors may occur. They can even be caused by cosmic rays! Don't worry about about them.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I looked for those errors in code and they originated from a piece of code used for Samsung's OneNAND, which is flash memory.

AFAIK there's OMAP's 512MiB internal/embedded flash, and the 16/64GB "external". Is that what you meant?

I've read that worn out flash cells could be revitalized by heating them. You can try putting your device in the oven (kidding here ofc. But flash-heating is a valid way to fix it.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I looked for those errors in code and they originated from a piece of code used for Samsung's OneNAND, which is flash memory.

AFAIK there's OMAP's 512MiB internal/embedded flash, and the 16/64GB "external". Is that what you meant?

I've read that worn out flash cells could be revitalized by heating them. You can try putting your device in the oven (kidding here ofc. But flash-heating is a valid way to fix it.)
That techonlogy will never appear. Simply because manufactors want not to sell products that lives as long as "end of human civilization" that would kill theyr bussiness. Because they need us to buy new products all the time...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
That techonlogy will never appear. Simply because manufactors want not to sell products that lives as long as "end of human civilization" that would kill theyr bussiness. Because they need us to buy new products all the time...
Well I'd say this does not relate to flash memory technologies, fortunetely.
See, the densities are growing anyway so mfg's will offer larger capacity devices all the time, obsoleting the smaller devices. There's no need to obsolete devices by building in faults...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Thanks for pointing that out. They do indeed originate from OneNAND. I should really have looked at the attached dmesg output before posting. My post came from previous experience having seen main memory ECC errors in hundreds of servers (before flash memory was commonplace) and it never occurred to me that ECC would now be available in flash memory devices.

The same ECC principles should still apply though regardless of whether the memory is volatile or non-volatile.

Interestingly enough, OneNAND is actually known as "fusion" memory which not only consists of flash memory but also includes a 5KB SRAM buffer (as well as controller logic and hardware ECC) on the same chip so it's possible (but not likely) that the errors come from the SRAM buffer.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: