Hello all,

Brand new here, basically I've just bought a N770 and I'm waiting for it to arrive early next week and thought I'd get ahead on a few things, but I'm just so lost now

I was wondering if some kind person wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me please, honestly I'd appreciate it so much.

What;s this Maemo I seen mentioned a lot?

Is it easy to find what firmware the tablet is running, and is it easy to upgrade?

Is there an upgrading guide?

Also what should I upgrade to, I've seen a few different firmware versions around such as 2007he and 2008he, which one should I use and where can I get it please.

Can apps and games be installed on the N770, if so, please could you point me in the right direction on how to install and where I could get them from please.

Also, say your me...you've just got an N770, never used one before and don't know a thing about them....What would you do!
(eg update f/w, install new apps, what apps etc etc)

Thank you very much for any help.

Robin

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ELRobin View Post
What;s this Maemo I seen mentioned a lot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo_(operating_system)

Is it easy to find what firmware the tablet is running, and is it easy to upgrade?

Is there an upgrading guide?
https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

Can apps and games be installed on the N770, if so, please could you point me in the right direction on how to install and where I could get them from please.
https://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_applications

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thanks mate, having a look through some of them now.

The installing apps bit...and many other links here, take me to apps and tuts for the N880.....is it just the same as the n770 then?

If I followed an N880 guide, could I use it on an N770.

Cheers mate.

Hi sorry,

Another quick question, updating/flashing looks easy enough, but could you please link me to what flash file I should use?

Should I use this hackers edition I've read about, and should I use the 07 or 08 version?

Thanks Mate.

Firstly, you've got the tablet's names all mixed up; the old one is the 770, the newer ones are N800 and N810. (Nokia added the N800 to the N-series, before that it was just numbers.)

The app manager and such are pretty much the same. The 770's last "official" build was OS2006; since then, there have been OS2007HE and OS2008HE, which are backports of OS2007/8 to the 770. They have some components in common with OS2006, though, where the corresponding newer stuff is N8x0 only.

I don't have a 770, so I can't be horribly much help, but I think basically everyone runs one of the HEs; some prefer 07HE, and some go for 08HE.

i have both a 770 and a n810.... i would not recommend that you start your nokia tablet experience with the 08HE it is a little buggy and a little sluggish in my opinion.

the 07HE is fairly stable -

enjoy your tablet