Active Topics

How can i use ssh tunneling on n800 ??
Very interested to do that to open lots of blocked sites that has tv streams and to use voip coz it's blocked olso for skype when it comes out

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
from ssh man page....

-L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport
Specifies that the given port on the local (client) host is to be forwarded to the given host and port on the remote side. This
works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side, optionally bound to the specified bind_address. Whenever a
connection is made to this port, the connection is forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is made to host port
hostport from the remote machine. Port forwardings can also be specified in the configuration file. IPv6 addresses can be
specified with an alternative syntax: [bind_address/]port/host/hostport or by enclosing the address in square brackets. Only
the superuser can forward privileged ports. By default, the local port is bound in accordance with the GatewayPorts setting.
However, an explicit bind_address may be used to bind the connection to a specific address. The bind_address of “localhost”
indicates that the listening port be bound for local use only, while an empty address or ‘*’ indicates that the port should be
available from all interfaces.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by screener View Post
How can i use ssh tunneling on n800 ??
Very interested to do that to open lots of blocked sites that has tv streams and to use voip coz it's blocked olso for skype when it comes out
I believe you need "real" ssh as opposed to dropbear ssh to do this. That said, here's a example from the man page:

The following example tunnels an IRC session from client machine “127.0.0.1” (localhost) to
remote server “server.example.com”:

$ ssh -f -L 1234:localhost:6667 server.example.com sleep 10
$ irc -c ’#users’ -p 1234 pinky 127.0.0.1

I use it to tunnel web traffic to privoxy on a remote system like so:
ssh -f -L 8118:localhost:8118 my_remote_host
That way I just specify localhost, port 8118 for my proxy and it works great.

Larry

you could just set up a socks proxy if your programs allow you to configure that...

ssh -D 9928 user@remote

Then go to your config in the program and set it up to use socks proxy with hostname "localhost" (or 127.0.0.1) and port 9928 or whatever you specified after the D up in that command^

I'm sorry ??
This thing to too technical for me . . . Can i have a step by step thing i'm just a noob as you see trying my best to get somewhere

ooh and can hamachi do this stuff if yes . . HOW ??

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
No hamachi cant.
Correct me if I am wrong.

what's the question about hamachi?

the question about hamachi was that i was thinking that you can do ssh tunneling using hamachi and SeRi@lDiE just explained that no it's not

that's all

thanks every one

*if someone can help with the step by step thing :-)

Hi,

Why can't we use hamachi and then ssh through it? Logically, it sounds possible....

Luke

i dunno what hamachi is, but you can use ssh to make some tunnels...

Assuming you already have the xterm emulator installed:

1) add the repository with openSSH into your application manager's catalog. For 770 users this would be according to the following information:

Repository : [WWW] http://repository.maemo.org
Distribution : mistral
Component : free
[you can also do this through the command line by editing sources.list wherever that is, i can't remember off the top of my head]

2) open the xterm, get to root (you should be able to jsut run "sudo gainroot" but you might need to install that 'becomeroot' program, just look in the app catalog at maemo.org to find that)

3) type "apt-get install ssh" and that should do it. Then you should log out of root and as user you can do ssh -L or -R or -D or whatever to get your tunnels / proxies.