Notices

Hello,

I have problems with the filemanager on n810 Diablo.
It does not find network shares from windows xp. But it sees samba shares on linux.
Whe I try to connect to the samba share the filemanager crashes.
All shares are open to all users and do not require password authentication.

Last edited by walto; 2009-01-21 at 18:31.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bucks, UK
It's no help, but I experience the same on my N800. Samba shares from an Ubuntu server crashing the File Manager as soon as you try to view them.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Are you using Wizard Mounter?
I've had great success with Windows Shares.
Haven't tried Linux.
See here.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
I just installed wizard-mounter and it works.
I cannot browse for shares. I need to know the server-name and the name of the share.
The filemanager which is origianlly installed should just do this.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I have a linux smb server, its the WINS server.

File manager sees all the hosts registered no problem. Some of the hosts are on a different subnet and inaccessible, and FM simply reports no files/folders, when I open the host that is on the same network it shows a list of accessible folders and crashes two seconds later. It's 100% predictable!

I have checked the linux box's firewall log and nothing's being blocked/rejected, and nothing appears in the samba log files, so it's a bit of a mystery!

It may be a problem with some routers. Since I changed the router in my wifi home network the filemanager works without any problems regardless if linux samba server or windows network share.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Probably it has t do with 'power savings mode' on the Wifi router. Some older routers do not support this feature and you can circumvent this by setting the 'power savings mode' off on the Wifi settings on the N810. Select 'edit settings' and 'advanced'.
This will result in more battery consumption on the N810 but it works for keeping SSH or VNC connections from a PC to the N810 alive, I hope this works for opening a Windows shared folder.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, I have that to, but not always. After 10 seconds of browsing, it disappears. The filebrowsers in mediaplayer and other programs do the same. Our router supports power saving and I've never had problems with keeping connections open with VNC and SSH. All shares are samba-shares.

It doesn't happen always. Sometimes it doesn't show up at all, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it works. Haven't had much problems with it lately. Sometimes a reconnect or a reboot seems to help it, though.
ps: I have an N800

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueWolf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29309 and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3804 .
I also had some crashes when trying to access Shared folders on an XP machine via WiFi but the entire Samba area is WONTFIX unfortunately. :-/