Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I have no idea if this is even technically possible..but thought I'd see if maybe someone could think of a way to accomplish this..

I don't have Linux running on my laptop (running Windows XP) and I'd prefer for now not to install it (space, etc).

So..what I would want would be:

Perfect scenario:
The N810 and my laptop are connected wirelessly via WiFi.
The N810's X terminal screen is projected onto my PC in a window.
I can type commands into that window on my PC and they get routed back to the N810 and the screen refreshes on my PC showing what happened.

Anything close to that possible?

EDIT: I'm looking at this to see if this can do what I want... http://pc-connectivity.garage.maemo....ta1/index.html
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-06-27 at 06:05.

For full GUI view: x11vnc on the N810, one of the various VNC viewers on the PC.
For command line usage: openssh server on the N810, putty on the PC.

Last edited by lma; 2009-06-27 at 06:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
VNC is what you want. TightVNC is good. The pc connectivity packages are not necessary (although you might want to set that up for future use) although you could connect via bluetooth instead of wifi (if unavailable). You could also use ssh, it's only text not graphical though. PuTTY on Windows is what you want.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Amazing that it's possible.
That will be my weekend-task to get working

Thanks!
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Ok, so I installed x11vnc and openssh server on my N810 - and Putty on my Windows XP laptop.

When running Putty on my laptop it first asks me what the IP address of the device I'm connecting to and I think I got that right.

Then it asks me for a login and password.
I've never set up an account on the N810.

So,
a) What should I log in as? As a root-level user or a regular user?
b) How do I go about creating that account on my N810 so that I can use it to log in to my N810 with?

This is all rather exciting to me I must admit..

I think I JUST figured it out!!!
I created a user named 'noob' using the useradd command and set the pwd.

I was then able to log on to my N810 from my PC using PuTTy.

This...my friends...is...amazing...

Awesome! Glad you got it working. SSH (what you used) is definitely the way to go. You might also want to try VNC while you are at it, you have to run x11vnc (server) each time you want to connect on the tablet (by default anyway) and then use something like tightvnc viewer to view the screen on Windows. The reverse is much more useful though - controlling the desktop/laptop with the tablet. But yeah SSH is wonderful - and if you ever get around to installing or booting Linux on that computer give sshfs a try. Have fun.

Oh, a 'natural' follow-up question... Now that I can access my N810 from my PC using PuTTy..is there now a way for me to transfer files (read: movies) from my PC onto my N810 without having to find and use the cable?

Yes, pscp or pftp (get them from the putty download page).

This sounds great silvermountain, can you please list the detailed steps to do what you did? Thanks in advance for giving back bro!