Title says all... when is it opening does anyone know?

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Nokia is doing an Apple and doing the annoying silent treatment.

One day soon hopefully...

Who knows. It's a bit pathetic IMHO and doesn't really bode well for future support of this device does it - they can't even get a website ready for a month after the delayed release. I guess my main gripe with all of this, the launch, the firmware update and the Ov store is the complete silence from Nokia. Really poor.

Still - on the plus side - given the level of community support it doesn't really matter. I'm getting great apps without Nokia and slowly starting to make my own tools too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Well, as we've just had a holiday week and today is Saturday, I sincerely hope that Nokia give their staff the courtesy of some time off. It would have been lovely to have the store over Christmas, but realistically, if it wasn't there by Dec 24th, I'd not even look for it before 4th January.

My money is on the store and the firmware upgrade coming together with a Big Announcement. And we know the firmware is in final community testing. Assuming no Massive Bugs turn up, then... soon.

Besides, we had a bunch of new apps in extras as community members pulled the stops out over the holiday. (applause for devs and testers please!)

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Well, as we've just had a holiday week and today is Saturday, I sincerely hope that Nokia give their staff the courtesy of some time off. It would have been lovely to have the store over Christmas, but realistically, if it wasn't there by Dec 24th, I'd not even look for it before 4th January.

My money is on the store and the firmware upgrade coming together with a Big Announcement. And we know the firmware is in final community testing. Assuming no Massive Bugs turn up, then... soon.
I agree - as Vodafone etc are going to start selling it soon - i can see them holding out ovi until the firmware is ready - or the other way round

It will give the companies time to advertise etc if needed. (I know thats the UK, but other shops must be doing a similar thing worldwide?!)

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I have no idea when but Eldar says that big revamp of Ovi is coming on March. Hopefully before that N900 content can be bought also

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
It's a bit pathetic IMHO and doesn't really bode well for future support of this device does it - they can't even get a website ready for a month after the delayed release.
I look at it another way...it bodes well for Maemo that they're not getting in a rush and taking the time to get it right the first time rather than tick off users with a hurried, half-assed market. They already did that once for Symbian, I'm sure they don't want to repeat the mistake with Maemo.

Maemo is just getting started. Look at how long it took Apple and Android to get anything meaningful going with their app stores. I can have a little patience. I already have most of the apps I'll ever need/want installed anyway.

I guess my main gripe with all of this, the launch, the firmware update and the Ov store is the complete silence from Nokia.
We can agree on that. They need to communicate more with those who are supporting their efforts.

Still - on the plus side - given the level of community support it doesn't really matter. I'm getting great apps without Nokia and slowly starting to make my own tools too.
We should all remember to thank those doing the heavy lifting on apps whenever we get the chance.
Registered Linux user #266531.

is this really a big question considering the target audience and the repositories availible? Does Maemo need a commercial front, the system works fine as it is imho. But I'm sure someone will disagree, with reasons of marketing, etc.

Why so anxious about the Ovi store opening? Do you really expect that there'll be vastly better or more interesting applications there than what you can currently find in Extras or Extras-testing?

Just curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I think that having an OVI store is more like a symbolic gesture on multiple levels:
- it's a checkbox to check in all the reviews and comparisons. It's easier to explain that there are only a few apps than no store at all
- it's very important to attract as many developers as possible, and they have to see how will they make money here
- also very important for the average end-user; for them even adding a new repository by hand is way over what's acceptable hassle
- games, games, games
MfEfolders - Enable/disable MfE sync on a folder by folder basis; locally rename mail folders

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THavoc For This Useful Post: