Active Topics

I apologize in advance but I just have to vent. I noticed a couple of small scratches on my screen and decided it was time to invest in screen protectors. Well, I bought these stupid things: EXIM SPUC for lots of money, and had a hell of a time applying them. Difficult to get aligned. Impossible to align without dust getting stuck on the underside. Impossible to remove the dust. Bubbles. Makes me hate life. I don't know how people use these things without wasting lots of time and money???

I've given up and I'm just going to use my 770 without a screen protector

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by cagilaba
I apologize in advance but I just have to vent. I noticed a couple of small scratches on my screen and decided it was time to invest in screen protectors. Well, I bought these stupid things: EXIM SPUC for lots of money, and had a hell of a time applying them. Difficult to get aligned. Impossible to align without dust getting stuck on the underside. Impossible to remove the dust. Bubbles. Makes me hate life. I don't know how people use these things without wasting lots of time and money???

I've given up and I'm just going to use my 770 without a screen protector
I guess you have discovered this (see title). My son has a PSP and I applied his SP for him--wasn't rocket science and now you would be hard-pressed to tell it was on there. Of course, the PSP has a hard, polycarbonate covered screen. I was able to press and "squeegee" quite hard to get a bubbleless surface. I can't see that happening with a 770--as your experience validates. I would say that by the time you actually start to gt a ragged display from all the use it will be time to upgrade anyway.

Don't get mad, get even--invent something better. BTW, good luck.

I got the BoxWave brand screen protector for my 770. It's fairly rigid and fairly easy to apply. If you mess up, like getting dust under the protector, you can just rinse it off and try again. It cost $13 for one sheet. In comparison, I bought a screen protector pack for my digital camera. I had to trim it to fit. It was foggy and impossible to get the bubbles out. Price was $10 for 6 sheets. The BoxWave, while more expensive, is a much better product.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Brando shop.brando.com.hk makes the best screen protectors. The only pain was getting it aligned but rarely did I get bubbles or dust.

I got a 10 pack of fellows writeright at radio shack for $15. It's a cut to fit job but there is an easy to follow grid on the backing plastic. I killed 2 before I figured out how to do it right. Good thing I got 10 of them, can't imagine spending $13 per sheet and messin up...ugh.

Ok, first was find the most dust/hair free room in the house. And it had to have prettyy good lighting. Since I don't have a "clean room" or an operating theater, the master bathroom fit the bill Then I gathered my supplies, easy removable clear tape, fat tweezers and scissors (they just happen to be in the bathroom) and an old creditcard.. And of course the screen protectors.

Then I cut a piece of paper to fit in the screen so I could have a template. Cutting the sheet was easy and the grid helped you more or less stay on track. Took off the old crappy screen protector I got from germany, it was like a cheap window magnet. Used the tape to catch any stray particles on the screen. When I peeled the plastic, I went down 3/4 of an inch and folded the backing so I can position it right. then I used the credit card to squeegy the film. The key here is go sloooow. Back up if you need to, to ge the bigger bubbles. It gets tricky at the end but if you hold the squeegy right, no prob. The sheet is amazingly clear and light and I didn't get any moire patterns like the old crappy one.

I did discover if you cut the sheet too perfect (tucks under the bezel a hair) the harder it will be to remove the sheet later on, just keep that in mind when you cut.

hope that helps.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Odin
I guess you have discovered this (see title). My son has a PSP and I applied his SP for him--wasn't rocket science and now you would be hard-pressed to tell it was on there. Of course, the PSP has a hard, polycarbonate covered screen. I was able to press and "squeegee" quite hard to get a bubbleless surface. I can't see that happening with a 770--as your experience validates. I would say that by the time you actually start to gt a ragged display from all the use it will be time to upgrade anyway.

Don't get mad, get even--invent something better. BTW, good luck.
On my Newton (yes, it's me again, the Newton-nut, but stick with me) I used NuShield screen protectors, which are non-adhesive; they're shaped in such a way that they can be slid under the edges of the screen and stay in place due to some weird physics thing.

I don't know if they have 770-sized ones, but you can always drop a mail.

i don't use them...

i used a brando protector for a while but removed it a few days ago.
writing on it just wasn't as precise as before and you also had to use much more pressure.

i used EXIM SPUC on my treo 700p and i also hated when i got dust under between the screen and screen protector. i eventually just took the damn thing off. i was going to get some EXIM SPUC for my new n800, but decided later.. screw it. let it breath :P

people fyi, if you get dust and such on the protector before applying just use a piece of scotch tape to sticky it off.

The Following User Says Thank You to olawale For This Useful Post: