Active Topics

Hi

The more I use Linux the more I want to do with it. I am trying to get more information about small embeded systems which can be used to develop custom solutions.

The idea device for me would have only WIFI and a camera. It should be as small and cheap as possible.

My main programming language is JAVA so idealy I would like direct hardware access from it.

Lastly I dont want to use old hardware but am more interested in being able to sell the device as a product if the software adds value.

What are my options.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
i dunno about java support or resale value but one of the prior maemo devices (n770, n800, n810) is probably your best bet

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
You had a look at BeagleBoard?

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
You had a look at BeagleBoard?
Thanks looks good but does not seem to support WIFI on wired connections. Apart from that it looks good.

Compared to some hardware I found from China the price seems high and it looks like a complete solution would need more hardware which ups the price.

Originally Posted by kktester View Post
Thanks looks good but does not seem to support WIFI on wired connections. Apart from that it looks good.

Compared to some hardware I found from China the price seems high and it looks like a complete solution would need more hardware which ups the price.
Usually what you specified doesn't really come cheap. The BugLabs hardware will provide exactly what you want, but you'll be looking at an immediate investment of $700+. Whereas with the Beagleboard xM or the Pandaboard both include wired ethernet and have USB you can plug a wifi dongle into, as well as a USB webcam.

Either of those you could load Android on and have some sort of Java environment.

And depending on the hardware you're seeing from China, it may have poor developer support.

Thanks

You are correct about the costs. I think I have two choices to try and find a linux hardware solution which seems to cost a few hundred dollers or bite the bullet and build somthing and program it at a lower level which would bring the price down to under 100.

Its a shame that from a comercial point of view a linux solution cannot compete.

Originally Posted by kktester View Post
Thanks

You are correct about the costs. I think I have two choices to try and find a linux hardware solution which seems to cost a few hundred dollers or bite the bullet and build somthing and program it at a lower level which would bring the price down to under 100.

Its a shame that from a comercial point of view a linux solution cannot compete.
Linux solutions can definitely compete, the question is if your requirements are too high for the price range you're estimating, especially with the Java requirement. The Rev. C Beagleboard ($125) has USB On-the-go. The xM is $150, and that's actually LOW for hardware of that type (typical dev systems for that processor go for $1200+.)

Additionally, these systems are not Linux-only.

Perhaps you should look at something like this:

http://designsomething.org/leopardboard/default.aspx

Parts listings here.

The java requirement was to make my life easier. But just trying to find a linux solution which competes with the range of hardware from China is hard. Having said that I have found a company form China selling a matchbox sever for $60 dollers for orders of 50 units. I am still waiting for the full specs. But from an inital email it looks like supporting WIFI and the ability to add a pin hole camera.

I will let you know once I get more information about the device.

Sounds like you may want a Plug Computer type of device in combination with a webcam.
I use a sheevaplug as a home server and can recommend it but, it has no wifi. The more recent Guruplug does though.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Check out the Gumstix also. I've never used one, but they look cool

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post: