Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
I thought I'd share some HTC "Hero" feedback here.

My partner gets her phone paid for by her employer, so they useTelus and since there are no N900's available we settled on a Hero.

All in all, it is a pretty slick package with many useful pre-installed apps. The first thing we wanted to do, was and continues to be problematic. Using wifi to browse the web.....It finds and logs on to our wireless network quickly, shows a good signal, yet it fails to browse the web very well or at all! Some times you get a few pages in on a Google search or you can't get google to show at all.
Researching this issue yields a fair whack of info and I have spent many an hour trying the solutions offered, including a "Hard Reset", to no avail. Some folks have to buy new wireless routers to get positive results.....pretty extreme I'd say. I have a year old router that works on everything I've thrown at it, except this new phone.

Also.
In the process of a hard reset I found that you HAVE TO use a computer to back up your settings! Sheesh!

And the contacts, which I presume were imported by bluetooth from her last (returned) non SIM card equipped phone, were not saved automatically to the card. To save them to it, you had to move them, one-contact-at-a-time to the SIM. What a pain! Did I mention slow booting and no way to kill apps or a hung browser?

Well we have been farting around for almost a week and we are just about ready to return it....

I am dead serious when I say that the N900 has been a pleasure from day one!

If anyone would mind looking at the Telus site here > http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/s...NTCMP=ILCq4ph6 and tell me if there is a phone there worth having, I would appreciate it!

Cheers!

Seems this issue is a problem on many Android devices, in my opinion it is a pretty serious one. Skim this thread to see the issues > http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1698

Last edited by Grok; 2010-08-05 at 05:36. Reason: Problem wider spread than originally thought

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
If anyone would mind looking at the Telus site here > http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/s...NTCMP=ILCq4ph6 and tell me if there is a phone there worth having, I would appreciate it!
htc desire or motorola milestone

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

get a Desire,I bought it for my not-so-techie brother of mine and he seems happy

milestone can be also a fine choice even though the keyboard bumms.

e72 is a choice if you dont care about touch, thats what my dad has and he is happy. this is by far the best symbian

Thought about the milestone, I heard they upgraded the keyboard. The desire is still not released yet.

Well it seems there are wifi problems experienced by many android users. The HTC support people say it is a known issue with all the older HTC phones, "Try a different router" was his recommendation! The router I just bought, that has zero issues.......till now.
He also said the new products are better.

Well the DroidX is still experiencing issues >http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...tivity-issues/

This all came as a surprise to me, shows you have to do your homework.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in the android wifi saga, but here goes.

The HTC support people say that only the newest devices can handle the mixed mode (b/g/n) wireless as the "n" mode screws them up, so you have to turn off "n" mode in the router settings!

Anyway we are getting a Desire from telus, so we'll see how that goes.

I find lack of n support acceptable, but these devices should be capable of connecting with the mixed mode devices that include n. "n" is rapidly becoming the new standard for hi-speed wireless so they have to deal with it.

Is that you or your partner in your avatar?

Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Is that you or your partner in your avatar?

Wouldn't you like to know!

But can tell you it's not me!