Active Topics

hi guys. love my n900 so much i took it in the bath. 10 mins later the back light has stopped working. can only see screen now when i hold it up to window/bright light.
there was a bit of water just inside the top edge of the caseing.
can anybody help this idiot out?
tx

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Sounds like you've done the worst thing possible after getting something wet.

Take out the battery, wipe any water out and put it in a bag of rice or silica beads if you can get hold of them.

Leave it somewhere warm for a few days and then try again.

If it's still not coming on then I'd say your LCD is knackered.
I'm not sure of the build of the screen in the n900 but on a lot of LCD screens you have an anode and a cathode on the back of the screen for the backlight, it might be worth re-soldering those joints, if that doesn't work or you don't fancy it then you'll have to replace the LCD.

tx for the reply.
i'l leave it a few days like you say. it has been crashing a lot the last week or so,might this be the cause. or just me wishful thinking.
also i'm on contract with voda uk. do you think if i take it in they might send it off for me?
tx

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Did you get insurance with the phone?

There is a water damage sensor inside the phone so they will know that it's been wet.

Was there any soap in the bath when the n900 when for its scuba lesson or was it clean water?

i texted when i had suds on my hands. cancelled the insurance after the 1st month. looking bad!

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
dude dont take with a 560 euro device a bath.
thats pretty bad

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
It sounds more like the lighting module blew out, not the whole LCD. If you can still see it in bright light, and the touch screen is working, it could just be the bulb or the hf circuit is toast. Either way, unless you're really good a repairing little things you're going to need to take it to the shop to fix it.

I'd give the rice/silica thing a try at least, but yeah. Water and electronics don't mix.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
ouch, you really should keep your devices insured if you have such use cases.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

update incase anybody else is so daft.
sent phone of to vodafone. 7 days later picked it up.they have replaced my handset with a referb stating they could not repair the original within a reasonable timescale. the refurb seems in better condition than the original as i had a scratch on the screen.
when i sent it off all the warranty documents said not covered for water or moisture damage and i was more hoping than expecting a working phone back.
seems i have been a very lucky chappy and my baby won't be coming swimming with me again i can tell ya.

can somebody tell me a way to see what update i'm running, voda havnt updated it to pr 1.2.

thanks for all help and replies.

I have same problem like you but after next day my phone back to normal. i think the problem is N900 is not strong enough in the room at cold temperature.