Active Topics

Notices

I've read the suggested reading based on my post title, but not really answering my query.

I'm a noob to installing extras on my N900, other than a few free games from Ovi store which went well.

I want to install Advanced Geocaching Tool on my N900, and I have been to Daniel's site with the N900 and clicked his link, but that takes me to a text based page.
I couldn't work this out as I couldn't see it being broken, so assumed I was in error.

Anyway I had a nose around with the app manager (which I haven't really delved into much), went to Download, then Location & navigation, and I was a little surprised to see 'Advanced Geocaching Tool for Linux' there.

Is this area the repository I see mentioned often?

If I go for this, will it get me the latest version, and install it?

I can't test it at the moment as I am in a weak signal area.

(Though I do have the USB lead, can I do it via PC and cable?)

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
If you download it via the App manager you'll probably get the latest version from the extras repository unless you add extras-devel, in which case you'll get the newest(and possibly unstable) version.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for quick reply.
How would I add extras-devel, if I wanted to do so?

Originally Posted by megoodsen View Post
Thanks for quick reply.
How would I add extras-devel, if I wanted to do so?
...there are a couple of guides avaiable - have a look here: "A Guide to Maemo Extras for More Nokia N900 Applications"
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/27/m...-applications/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walter-se For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by walter-se View Post
...there are a couple of guides avaiable - have a look here: "A Guide to Maemo Extras for More Nokia N900 Applications"
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/27/m...-applications/
Or have a look at this wiki page - http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras
But as you can see - "search" can be your best friend

The Following User Says Thank You to HugoSon For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the links guys.
I did do a search (and post the exact same advice as yourselves where I mod a forum! ) but to be honest bit of a term overload. Most of the posts assume a working knowledge, as did FAQ I found.
I'm not dense, just fledgling

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
The app manager, is where the repositories are added to (extras, extras-testing and extras-devel) and thats where you can get all the apps mentioned here.

Dont worry, i was once a complete noob, but while reading here, and asking (dont be afraid) i have developed into a non noob. (thats how i see it anyway)

RIP: Nokia N900 - ARM Cortex A8 @ 1150mhz - 32GB + 8GB - Maemo 5 PR1.2 + Android 2.2

[22:52] <DJ_Steve> its like ive released somethign useful or something

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Reference the previous comment about not being dense, just fledgeling, if I were you I'd be aware of the warnings regarding extras-devel - until you are familiar with the flashing procedure and are comfortable with that......

Other than that, this fine community will be able to help you with anything else you need

Originally Posted by Switch_ View Post
Reference the previous comment about not being dense, just fledgeling, if I were you I'd be aware of the warnings regarding extras-devel - until you are familiar with the flashing procedure and are comfortable with that......

Other than that, this fine community will be able to help you with anything else you need
I appreciate that, and it is advice I value. I'm one for not fixing when it's broke, and as such have installed no useful apps at all on my N900 even though I'm probably missing out loads.

I fancied the geocaching app though as the N900 GPS is lots better than my handheld trekking GPS unit.

Is there a spot here for discussing the Advanced Geocaching Tool app in more detail, like stability, security etc?
I found Daniel's blog, which seems one way for announcements, but nothing else as yet.