Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
I mean they did make the 7 series, 8 series and now the N900. Will there be another phone that's as awesome as this? I'm hooked on this internet tablet computer phone. Nothing out there compares. The N8 is just another smart phone and nothing else. Will the N9 be the same? Will MeeGo be somewhat similar to Maemo? Will there be an N1000?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bondage Monkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
I mean they did make the 7 series, 8 series and now the N900. Will there be another phone that's as awesome as this? I'm hooked on this internet tablet computer phone. Nothing out there compares. The N8 is just another smart phone and nothing else. Will the N9 be the same? Will MeeGo be somewhat similar to Maemo? Will there be an N1000?
Yes, it sounds like the N9 is going to be an internet tablet phone.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
I doubt they'll make one just like this, but if they did it would be 3-digits (N910? N950?). They have a rather rigid numbering system in place, and 4-digit is reserved already.

I also doubt they'll do another tablet, since really the N900 was the merge point for their tablet line into the phone line. Smart phones has come so far that they're bordering on mini-computers already. Both have been approaching each other for a while now, and have merged on both sides with slight variants. I think from here on out they're going to be one in the same, which is the whole goal of MeeGo.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
If so, I just pooped my pants

I'm just wondering if the N9 or (or maybe N8 for that matter idk) will have a browser similar to MicroB. Nothing tops that. Same with that multitasking. I hope N9 will just be a sexier, better version of the N900 cause that's all I want now

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My feeling is that Nokia has the gut instincts of Wrong-Way Culligan, I think that's his name. He was famous for catching a football and barrelling down the field and scoring a touchdown -- for the other side.

I think that Nokia pioneered the tablet with the N800 and N810, and abandoned them just in the nick of time to miss the tablet craze.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
soo far upstream Meego is faaaar from what maemo is today:

* No multiple desktops and as far as I can see it will not be integrated in 1.2 we can only hope nokia is working on this internally in theyr version otherwise it is a big mistake...

* gui for settings far from ready.

* fennec(browser) UI sucks I prefer MicroB it is also faster, atleast in maemo. No chance too test fennec for real on Meego only tested on sd card so not sure maybe fennec can be faster in meego?

* maemo UI is cooler

* and mmost important for geeks we have a working xterm its still broken in meego handset...

By this I dont wanna dish Meego it will progress and be better however it seems to me the projects needs more developers and testers to sucess.

if Meego fails when first real products get released we can be sure the meego handset will die and Nokia goes winmobile or similar crapos...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-11-08 at 23:20.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
@mikecomputing re Fennec/MicroB
Without wishing to take this too far off-topic, one dwnside of fennec I'd like to point out is it's high cpu rate.

I can leave a MicroB window open all day and the battery consumption is minimal. However make the same mistake with Fennec and my battery is dead.

I suppose that is one of the benefits of being the stock browser, and it's only really improved since PR1.3, but I'm a little saddened. I've been a firefox user since before it was firefox (what was it called now?) and mozilla before then (and yes I am pleased that MicroB is based on the mozilla engine).

However I do accept that some of the features that Fennec sports are awesome. Features like syncing with your desktop and single window, multiple tabs are fantastic to have.

Back to the main topic, I assumed that was one of the reasons that Intel and Nokia merged their OS' - let Intel provide the chips for other tablet mfrs, and let Nokia concentrate on the phone market. *shrugs shoulders*

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
soo far upstream Meego is faaaar from what maemo is today:

* No multiple desktops and as far as I can see it will not be integrated in 1.2 we can only hope nokia is working on this internally in theyr version otherwise it is a big mistake...

* gui for settings far from ready.

* fennec(browser) UI sucks I prefer MicroB it is also faster, atleast in maemo. No chance too test fennec for real on Meego only tested on sd card so not sure maybe fennec can be faster in meego?

* maemo UI is cooler

* and mmost important for geeks we have a working xterm its still broken in meego handset...

By this I dont wanna dish Meego it will progress and be better however it seems to me the projects needs more developers and testers to sucess.

if Meego fails when first real products get released we can be sure the meego handset will die and Nokia goes winmobile or similar crapos...
It's early days, these things all take a lot of time and effort, have some faith. The video of the UI being used, showing downloading apps, social media integration etc is amazing and far surpassed Maemo's UI i think.
It will have multiple desktops, even Symbian now has 3. We can't expect the current version to be the same as the final version, and even if the released version doesn't have everything it's no reason to worry, look how Android has progressed, and what's currently missing from WP7. Nokia know the importance of MeeGo though and the end goal is hugely ambitious and long term, they'll do what needs to be done. Bear in mind the N900 was the stepping stone to MeeGo, so things will progress, not regress.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
This is the reason I bought the N900. I don't believe Nokia will make another device like it (resistive screen, hardware keyboard). I would have preferred a larger 4-5" screen.

Given where it seems Nokia is going, they have abandoned the tablet idea they pioneered, and are following the latest trends (iOS, android) in size, form, and features), and will probably be a step behind for several years, until they decide to try to innovate again.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My feeling is that Nokia has the gut instincts of Wrong-Way Culligan, I think that's his name. He was famous for catching a football and barrelling down the field and scoring a touchdown -- for the other side.

I think that Nokia pioneered the tablet with the N800 and N810, and abandoned them just in the nick of time to miss the tablet craze.
I definitely agree. Somehow, they decided to be followers and made the N900 with a smaller screen; I'm assuming that they felt that this is what customers wanted given the iPhone. Yet, what happened was the complete opposite... people LOVE the huge iPad. (I don't own one, of course.)

If they even came out with a device like the N810 with more memory and power, then I'd be all over it, but given the small size of the N900, I have very little reason to go to it.

Tags
bestthreadever, yes no maybe