Notices

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

I returned from my favorite Internert Cafe HotSpot.

With my N800 I turned on the N800 Bluetooth connection and scanned for other devices around the cafe.
About 10 bluetooth devices showed up on my list.
But my N800 could not pair with any of them.
Most of the devices asked for a Pin number.

I would have liked to exchange my virtual Businesscard, that I have on my N800.
Or just asked one of the person by the name, BabyGirl, if wanted that I buy her a drink.

I searched Maemo softwares and I couldn't find a N800 bluetooth Application that would allow me to share/exchange information with other bluetooth users.

If someone has found such app with the above features, can you send me a link.

Think of how an application like this would help us get business contacts when visiting a trade show. Wow

Regards Robert

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
hmmmm... who the hell wants to receive "junk mail" while sipping a Latte!!!!!

Omega

Greetings:

hmmmm.... I see there are some who don't like change in this world!!!.

Have you heard of Application development, where you can create a block for "junk mail", hummmm

Regards Robert

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ United States
On the surface it's not a bad idea. The problem is that with the security protocols that are a part of the Bluetooth standard, any type of peer-to-peer relationship like this would have to be opt-in.

-------------------------------------

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yes, if you include a feature to take advantage of the following bluetooth vulnerability ( http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...nerable_1.html ) to increase the chance of getting BabyGurl's attention... it'll give a whole new meaning to 'creep' in public places >

Seriously, I like the concept of short-range public area network where you can create temporary environments to interact and exchange digital data within one interface.

Last edited by ysss; 2007-07-31 at 14:28. Reason: Added a smiley, so people don't think I'm a real creep.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Greetings:

I returned from my favorite Internert Cafe HotSpot.

With my N800 I turned on the N800 Bluetooth connection and scanned for other devices around the cafe.
About 10 bluetooth devices showed up on my list.
But my N800 could not pair with any of them.
Most of the devices asked for a Pin number.

I would have liked to exchange my virtual Businesscard, that I have on my N800.
Or just asked one of the person by the name, BabyGirl, if wanted that I buy her a drink.

I searched Maemo softwares and I couldn't find a N800 bluetooth Application that would allow me to share/exchange information with other bluetooth users.

If someone has found such app with the above features, can you send me a link.

Think of how an application like this would help us get business contacts when visiting a trade show. Wow

Regards Robert
Congrats, you just discovered why most people are quite happy there's a PIN system in place. You shouldn't be attempting to pair with other people's phones because it almost always requires the same PIN. What you can try doing is using Send via Bluetooth (context menu in File Manager) to send a text file with your... proposition. The other person can accept it if they choose without requiring you to pair them.

When I was in Montreal's Eaton Center (or whatever it's called now), I went down to the free internet zone downstairs in the food court with my N800. My wife was surfing and she asked me what to do about a prompt. Someone was attempting to send me a few mp3s from their phones. So I decided to take The Price is Right theme song, change the name to 1.mp3 and send it to everyone around - a good 30 bluetooth devices.

It was absolutely hilarious hearing the theme start up repeatedly and everyone looking around in complete confusion.

There are definitely some existing possibilities for mososo apps.

I just don't think you can shoehorn them into existing bluetooth or wifi protocols.
There's too much necessary security that should be in your way.

Nokia already has software that does this on S60. It is largely abandon-ware though.

Greetings:

Why can't someone develop such a program through maemo.
I'm sure it will be very popular.
As for privacy issues, there will always be an accept option in the software.
So I hope some maemo developers will create such a software.

Regards Robert