Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
So, i just got my N9, and unfortunately, i'm a bit saddened by it all.

I remember how chuffed i was with my N900, it was a no-holding-back engineering marvel that literally had everything, and the kitchen sink.

But was horribly un-userfriendly.

Then along came the N9, and I loved it. It traded some of the geekier N900 features for more mainstream, and frankly, more grown-up ones. Funky chunky to sleek modernism sums it all up for me.

Then we get the full device details, and I start to lose some enthusiasm, but I am still pumped, 64gb? Hell yes!
and various other things.

And now, here I am, playing with my brand new baby, and as I attempt to transfer my contacts from my falling apart N900 it hits me.

The screen is substantially better on the N900.

The N9 screen looks permenantly washed-out and half-assed. I can quite clearly tell that the text in the status bar is not pure white. In the little "3.5" icon i can see the space between pixels. A little research then tells me the N900 has a higher pixel density.

Now regarding my observation of pixelation and poor image representation, is that par for an N9?

I would love for someone to laugh at me that my N9 is broken and to get it replaced but I sincerely doubt that's the case. Now assuming that this is what the screen is, how do people deal with it? the screen is atrocious, how could none of the reviews mention how terrible the screen is?

I'm clearly still in shock, I hold the N900 so close to my face my eyes hurt, and I can't really make out pixels, yet on the N9, I can't actually hold it far away enough to make it look un-pixelated or not fuzzy.

I'm pretty sure I'm treating this as an "a problem shared is a problem halved" kind of thing, so please, share, join in.

Can anyone justify to me the pentile display?

THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN OPINION THREAD. IF YOUR INPUT IS SUBJECTIVE, THIS IS NOT WHERE YOU SHOULD BE SHARING. OPINIONS ARE NOT VALID COUNTERS TO FACTS.
PLEASE TRY TO KEEP THIS FOCUSED ON SCREEN PERFORMANCE ISSUES, HOPEFULLY WE'LL BE ABLE TO PUT "SOLVED" AFTER EACH AND EVERY BUG

Last edited by optimaxxx; 2012-07-06 at 13:40.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
First world problems..

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
The N9 screen looks permenantly washed-out and half-assed.
I'm trying to picture that, but I can't get the image into my head. LOL

I say stop whining. The N9 is stone dead, but the screen is great.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Rosice, Czech Republic
As for the washed-out colors.. change color profile in Setttings -> Device -> Display from "normal" to "live".

Edit: Don't you appreciate that awesome black on AMOLED? That alone was for me a reason to love the N9's screen.. no more gray and whatnot.

Last edited by celebrant; 2012-07-05 at 19:39.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Please refrain from commenting if you have nothing to add.

I know what pentile is.

I'm just getting a bit ( a lot) emotional that my 4 year old prequel actually has a better screen.

once again, if you do not have an N900, do not comment on N9 screen fidelity here. No offense, start another thread if you simply must act like it's a perfect display

I already set it to vivid, or whatever.

washed-out : go to clock, then look at the "solid" white background. It isn't soid white.

Last edited by optimaxxx; 2012-07-05 at 19:39.

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
washed-out : go to clock, then look at the "solid" white background. It isn't soid white.
What do you mean by not "solid white"? do you see dots or something?

I have the N900, and the screen on the N9 is much better. There is no comparison. Try taking it outdoor.

BUT, and this is the thing, the N9 is AMOLED and pentile. Solid white on an AMOLED screen is an oxy***** thing to start with. What AMOLED excels at is solid black. Using solid white will drain your batteries as well. On LCD it is opposite, unless you have the newest Sony technology screen, but the difference in battery usage is nowhere that of an AMOLED screen.

Pentile is good enough on the dpi of the N9 screen. It's only when the dpi is in the range of, lets say the E7/808 screen, that you will need true RGB.

The thing is. If you use mostly white backgrounds, get an LCD. Othervise get AMOLED.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Pentile should never have been on the N9. that was half *** decision making on the part of NOKIA. I agree with you, screen on n900 is much better than N9. The colors are not over-saturated and resolution is great. N900 is on par with iphone 4, N9 is on par with inferior screens. There were links here while back to where some guys scientifically, under the microscope showed you what badness is pentile

So, yes, you are right. N9 screen is a definite disadvantage compared to N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Pentile should never have been on the N9. that was half *** decision making on the part of NOKIA. I agree with you, screen on n900 is much better than N9. The colors are not over-saturated and resolution is great. N900 is on par with iphone 4, N9 is on par with inferior screens. There were links here while back to where some guys scientifically, under the microscope showed you what badness is pentile

it's a matter of opinion

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
There were links here while back to where some guys scientifically, under the microscope showed you what badness is pentile

Lumiaman, you are making no sense. In a microscope you will be able to see a difference. But how many people have microscopic eyes.

The N900 screen is inferior. Besides the dude is complaining about washed-out screen on the N9, not over saturated.

Maybe he has been unlucky and has got one of those cheap chinese copies with poor rate screens ?

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post: