Active Topics

I have installed OpenSSH on my Nokia770 and now I am trying to get root access, but it doesn't work. After typing
"ssh root@localhost" and then
"rootme" I constantly get this message:
"Permission denied, try again:".

The device was bought on ebay, and looked absolutely new, but now i have a suspicion, that someone has changed root password. I hope it is just a bug (of xterm, openssh or something else). Any advises/opinions?

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Start fresh. Flash it.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by FeDeX View Post
I have installed OpenSSH on my Nokia770 and now I am trying to get root access, but it doesn't work. After typing
"ssh root@localhost" and then
"rootme" I constantly get this message:
"Permission denied, try again:".

The device was bought on ebay, and looked absolutely new, but now i have a suspicion, that someone has changed root password. I hope it is just a bug (of xterm, openssh or something else). Any advises/opinions?
Did you not get asked to enter a root password when you installed openssh?

There are other ways to get root access though if openssh isn't working for you.
One of the simplest is to install the becomeroot package and then just 'sudo gainroot' in an xterm as user. You can then reset your root password to whatever you like.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwiktowy For This Useful Post:
Thanks for answers!

Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
Start fresh. Flash it.
Yes, it's an option, but i'm rather new to linux and would rather do this if nothing else helps. I still hope that the problem is in openssh or smth.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
There are other ways to get root access though if openssh isn't working for you.
One of the simplest is to install the becomeroot package and then just 'sudo gainroot' in an xterm as user. You can then reset your root password to whatever you like.
To install becomeroot or dropbear as alternatives, I have to get internet access, to get it i have to configure pptp client, to configure pptp client i have to get root access . Kind of a dead lock .

Did you not get asked to enter a root password when you installed openssh?
It was installed by my friend, who has a wi-fi access point that can manage VPN tunnel itself. He went to another city, so i cant use his help. After installing openssh he didn't try to use it(he didn't set any passwords).

The Following User Says Thank You to FeDeX For This Useful Post:
To install becomeroot or dropbear as alternatives, I have to get internet access, to get it i have to configure pptp client, to configure pptp client i have to get root access . Kind of a dead lock .
Or you download the package from another computer. Plug the tablet into that computer to get the package on the tablet. Then use Application Manager to install from file. It is a very small file with zero dependencies. In fact, the package contains no application. It just runs a setup script on install and a script that reverses the changes it made when you uninstall it.

It is found here:
http://eko.one.pl/maemo/dists/bora/u....1-2_armel.deb

It was installed by my friend, who has a wi-fi access point that can manage VPN tunnel itself. He went to another city, so i cant use his help. After installing openssh he didn't try to use it(he didn't set any passwords).
When you install OpenSSH, it asks you to set a root password during the installation. However, this is a recent thing. I don't remember earlier versions for the 770 asking this so it may be that it didn't in your case.

If you are handy with the linux flasher application, the other option for getting root access is to set your tablet into R&D mode and then 'sudo gainroot' at the xterm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwiktowy For This Useful Post:
After installing openssh he didn't try to use it(he didn't set any passwords).
If OpenSSH did ask for a password, it is no longer "rootme" and he wasn't setting it up for himself with his own password, I'll bet your friend just set the password to "password" ;]

Banned | Posts: 82 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Israel
when u install openssh it installs itself with openssh client and server so when it's installing it asks u for a password for u to have access to your files in your device,after u write the password the instalation finish and u're ready to go,i recomend u WINscp if u're running windows,if u do,in the host name u should write the ip of the device,in user name type: root and in the password field type the password that u wrote when u were installing openssh and u'll see a connecting window,if something prompt just click on yes and continue,u'll be able to see all your files there,add,remove,modify them,whatever u want,good luck.If u're using x terminal as u said just install becomerrot and type sudo gainroot and u should be able to become root without any problem.. try again and good luck again

Thank's for all your answers and advices!
I'm new to this community and I'm very impressed about how many useful information i got in such a short period of time.

I finally gained root access with the help of

It is found here:
http://eko.one.pl/maemo/dists/bora/u....1-2_armel.deb
The next task is to configure VPN =)

PS: I thought, that distributions for 770 are in "mistral". What packages are appropriate for manual installation?