Hi Guys,

I have a problem and and hope that there is a solution...

I want to use the 770 to access streaming audio from the folowing site:

http://www.highveld.co.za/planet947/streaming.asp

This makes use of Windows Media.

I have looked at the Slimserver option but i do not want to have a PC running 24/7 with the server software on this and use the 770 as a remote.

I have a wireless network at home and want to use just the 770 to listen to this stream - is this possible?

I believe not! I am on the verge of getting a Squeezebox 3 for this purpose - but if I can get the 770 to do this, it would be Perfect.

Please can someone help...

Kind Regards,
Brendon

770 can only play mp3 streams

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I don't think the 770 will do what you want.

The 770 software is a single stream music player. You give it a stream and it decodes that stream on the fly and plays it, as if it were reading from a file. Network music players, like the Squeezebox, Roku SoundBridge, and the Sonos product, are capable of processing multiple streams from multistream servers. Servers like SlimServer and Twonky collect streams/files and offer the collection to multistream network players.

The 770 software can't access a multistream server and pick the stream to play by itself. You must specify the specific stream with a URL. It would be quite cool for an app to be written that can access multistream servers. This usually happens over Universal Plug-n-Play protocols, which are also used by Apple iTunes. An app that used UPnP to access multistream servers would then be able to access iTunes as well. A pretty killer app!

Anyway, the 770 can't do it now -- it needs one stream specifically given to it by a user using a URL. Sorry.

-F

Guys,

Thanks for helping me on this issue... sounds like there is abs. NO way...

I found the direct link that I want to listen to by the way.. it is:

http://196.35.64.36/highveld_22?WMThinning=0

Hope that this may be possible one day...

Rgds,B

Basically, if something is available via Shoutcast, I listen to it, and if not, well, I don't. I know Micro$oft is trying to take over the world, with WMV, WMF, WMA, etc., but they stopped supporting this format on the Macintosh, and that bothers me. They also stopped Internet Explorer on the Mac as well.

That's fine. I have choices, and so do you. You are the user - demand what you want. They want you to listen to their stuff, tell them what you want, what you really, really want. I am not a customer for that format, and neither are millions of people. Tell 'em!