I wanted to try this out, but I cannot get this to work at all - it keeps asking for my password. It always says refreshed never.

I ahve tried both POP and IMAP from my sky.com e-mail account and it still won't work

I was hoping someone would give my some insight on whether it will ever work!

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
More details? Are you trying to configure an Email account on your phone? Because I haven't got a clue what you mean by Nokia Messaging I'm afraid!

If you are looking for an Email account setup on your phone ensure that you have the correct ports set up and whether the account is SSL / TLS enabled - without these being set up correctly the account won't work. If you want your Sky Email account to run through the phone then the applicable settings are as follows:

Enable POP forwarding in your Sky Email account settings;

Login to My Sky. Click on Email & Tools at the top of the page. Then click on email icon on next page, and when your client loads in, look for "Mail Settings" at top right of page (next to your email address) and click on it. On the next page click on "Forwarding and POP" and under "POP Download" click on the radio button that says "Enable POP for all mail". In the drop down box where it says "When messages are accessed with POP" you can choose whether to delete the email once its been downloaded to your PC or keep a copy on Sky's servers

When you're done, click on Save Changes (Don't forget this part!)

POP forwarding is now enabled in your Sky account.

Configuring your account on your phone is as follows:

Select "Other" as the service provider, and not Nokia Messaging. Region is UK and the title of the account should be "Sky Mail" or whatever else you want.

Name = Your Name as you want it to appear in the "From" field.
User Name = Your FULL Sky Email Address
Password = the password you set up on your account
Email address = Your FULL Sky Email Address

Account type is POP3.
Server Information:
- Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com, PORT 995
Tick the box for Secure Authentication
Secure Connection Type will be SSL(POP3S)

- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com, PORT 465
Secure Authentication needs to be changed to "Login"
Secure Connection again will be SSL

Click on next and go to Advanced Settings - check that both of the server ports are correct as per the above, 995 for the POP3 server and 465 for the SMTP server.

Any other problems post back - I'll watch the thread and help you if I can.

Originally Posted by ericj23 View Post
I wanted to try this out, but I cannot get this to work at all - it keeps asking for my password. It always says refreshed never.

I ahve tried both POP and IMAP from my sky.com e-mail account and it still won't work

I was hoping someone would give my some insight on whether it will ever work!
To make ur nokia messaging work first go to email.nokia.com and create ur account , the first email account u create will be the credentials required when using nokia messaging. When ur done with adding whtever emails u want go on phone email and in service provider select nokia messaging and when it connects to server and asks for password use the password of the first email account u created. if it doesnt work try 2-3 times more and it should work. Hope tat helps !

P.S if nothing works make sure u have an internet data plan thats working

Last edited by sdesai; 2010-07-13 at 10:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdesai For This Useful Post:
@switch : i am surprsd u dnt know nokia messaging...its the
push email service of nokia. u dnt need to send receive time to time to get mails...u access mails instantly as soon as u receive them..on the go !

Originally Posted by sdesai View Post
To make ur nokia messaging work first go to email.nokia.com and create ur account , the first email account u create will be the credentials required when using nokia messaging. When ur done with adding whtever emails u want go on phone email and in service provider select nokia messaging and when it connects to server and asks for password use the password of the first email account u created. if it doesnt work try 2-3 times more and it should work. Hope tat helps !
Alas I have done all of that and it doesn't work

Just keeps asking for my password and never gets through to the e-mails - I ahve tried lots of advanced settings, ive tried pop or impa with my e-mail address and I just can't get it to work

I even tried just setting up a messaging account with my ovi mail address and that didn't work either

Have you really got it working? Becuase if you ahve I might not give up !

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by sdesai View Post
@switch : i am surprsd u dnt know nokia messaging...its the
push email service of nokia. u dnt need to send receive time to time to get mails...u access mails instantly as soon as u receive them..on the go !
I didn't know Nokia ran a Push Email facility at all - but then, if I picked up every mail every time I got one my phone would never shut up - I kinda like the whole "connect on WiFi" and then it's every 30 minutes it tells me I have another 8 or 9 Emails..... Damn spammers, Damn Facebook, and damn the bloody on-line sales - that's where my cash goes each and every month, now if only they would stop mailing me with tempting offers lol!

haha ....well question of choice in that case....i dnt get much of spam but i like readin and replyin to my mails instantly. And the mails i read in my phone gets read in email inbox as well...i dnt like it when i hv to make it "mark as read" in mailbox seperately. And i am travellin most of the time so i dnt hv access to wifi except when i am home...thats the time nokia messaging is better. But as i said question of choice really.

Last edited by sdesai; 2010-07-13 at 10:23.

i have configured gmail and hotmail accounts with nokia messaging. And i am using it since past 4-5 months now. Just google " how to setup push emai on N900" and check the steps incase ur missing something

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I have the same problem with Nokia Messaging - i've followed all instructions but to no avail. I could continue but frustration got the best of me.

Now I just have my inbox set to refresh every 10 mins.Poor alternative.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Couple of facts in this thread I've read and wanted to correct.

1. Nokia Messaging isn't compatible with 'Sky Mail'.
2. You don't need to create an account first on Nokia Messaging to use it - you just go through the wizard on the phone and Nokia set up the account automatically.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.