Hi everyone,

last week my Palm T5 died and I need a replacement urgently.

Given that a Palm TX at the moment cost as much as a N800 (at least here in Germany) and with a beta of a Garnet Emulator for the N800 already available evidently the N800 looks interesting...

What I need my PDA for is reading ebooks (txt, html, pdf), an offline wikipedia, playing mp3s and of course some PIM.

Important for me is a good battery life when used offline (without WiFi or BT, lowest brightness - I got about 6hrs of runtime out of my T5 and don't want to go below that).

Also I would need a good pdf-reader (something like RepliGo, i.e. both a full-page view with zoom and a text-only view).

I am quite Linux-savy and don't mind flashing new firmware versions and the like but I mainly want a reliable everyday device rather than a cool hack.

So could you please provide some feedback as to what extend a N800 would be suitable for me as a T5 replacement?

Many thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to morgon For This Useful Post:
1) Reading ebooks (txt, html, pdf)
ITTs are GREAT for eBooks. Evince for PDFs is lurverly. Then there's FBReader for the others. You won't be disappointed! No Palm compares imo (the screen alone is worth it.)

2) Offline Wikipedia

A port of SDict is available. Though we're having trouble getting the files Prolly best to download Wikipedia and convert them yourself.

3) Playing mp3s

Canola, UKMP, Kagu No complaints here!

4) Of course some PIM.

GPE ... though this is still an area that's being worked on by the author.

If these options are no good - penguinbait's also got KDE running on the tablets. You have there a whole lot more available KDE PIM anyone?

Re battery life - at the settings you suggest (lowest brightness, no wifi/bt, etc) you should get comparable runtime. On the go I leave all options on but reduce brightness by half - I get around 4 hours runtime; with brightness all the way down you should be able to squeeze more out. It really depends what you do with it offline ... 6 hours holding a tablet (or Palm) in your hands must KILL both your arms and your eyes! If you mean 6 hours in "suspend mode" then Nxx0's can be idle for a little over 2 days.

i.e. You should get a few hours use over the course of the day, all day!

1) With the recent Palm VM available you basically can have a built in replacement for your dead Palm device.

2) I use the GPE suite and sync my calendar with Ermining. Works for me (though I can't do contacts but the recent Palm thing deals with that problem.

3) Battery life. if you are very carefull with how you use your tablet it will run all day (8+ hours) on a single charge. To do this you need to reduce the amount of time that the N800 is doing any of the following:

a) searching for a network connection. If you know you'll be out of range of WIFI or are in transit and don't need it. put the machine in offline mode and then lock the keyboard and screen. I have found that my N800 was trying to get online cause some app tried to initiate a network connection and then that "searching" process ate the battery. Also any time your wireless and bluetooth are off you are saving battery.

b) avoid websites that have flash animations like the plague. They will often spike the CPU usage which in turns kills battery. Many sites terms of service explicitly state you "cannot" block advertising. My philosophy is you either provide me with a decent non-flash page, buy me a new battery or it sucks that you have so much flash on your site cause I will block cpu hogging ads at will.

c) keep the screen brightness down to a minimum.

d) Keep your reboots to a minimum. Each time this thing boots a process kicks off that spikes the CPU for an extended amount of time. The more media files you have on your system the longer it takes to scan.

e) purchase a Solio. I am a happy customer. It will trickle charge your device on sunny days and provide you with emergency power should your tablet go wonky. I once used my Solio on a trip from Georgia to NJ and ran the iPod off the sun the entire trip (the battery was near dead at the beginning of the trip. Similarly when I headed to Florida I used the Solio to keep the N800 running when I had to reboot due to a MaemoMapper "issue" which cost me much battery power.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Hi everyone,

last week my Palm T5 died and I need a replacement urgently.

Given that a Palm TX at the moment cost as much as a N800 (at least here in Germany) and with a beta of a Garnet Emulator for the N800 already available evidently the N800 looks interesting...

What I need my PDA for is reading ebooks (txt, html, pdf), an offline wikipedia, playing mp3s and of course some PIM.

Important for me is a good battery life when used offline (without WiFi or BT, lowest brightness - I got about 6hrs of runtime out of my T5 and don't want to go below that).

Also I would need a good pdf-reader (something like RepliGo, i.e. both a full-page view with zoom and a text-only view).

I am quite Linux-savy and don't mind flashing new firmware versions and the like but I mainly want a reliable everyday device rather than a cool hack.

So could you please provide some feedback as to what extend a N800 would be suitable for me as a T5 replacement?

Many thanks!
As far as a media viewer/player, its great and bettter than palm. As far as a PIM, its somewhat lacking. GPE is what I use and has a few bugs but for "some" PIM it works.

I came from a Treo 650 and this is way better. But for Palm apps, becareful, Palm VM Garnet will not run store password keys so the apps you bought typically will not run. Also its not Garnet 5.1 so some apps won't run anyways.

Thanks for all replys.

Some more questions:

Is there anything known about where the GarnetVM is heading.
Evidently if you cannot run a lot of commercial apps that is severe limitation - but then at the moment it is only beta - will this improve?
Can the Palm-apps that run in the GarnetVM see the SD-card?
And can the GarnetVM run in the screen-format that the T5/TX Palms have?

Could you please point me to some screenshots that show pdf-reading on the N800?

One concern for me is that it seems the N800 seems to be considerably larger and heavier (are there any pictures that show a N800 and a TX side by side?). I need something that I can carry around anywhere at any time and that would allow me to read ebooks comfortably while e.g. travelling. Is the N800 a good device for that or do you basically need a table to support it when you want to use it for a longer period of time because it gets too heavy?

Many thanks!

PDA stays for Windows Mobile OS.

Darius

Is there anything known about where the GarnetVM is heading.
Evidently if you cannot run a lot of commercial apps that is severe limitation - but then at the moment it is only beta - will this improve?
Presumably. But only Access knows. So far it appears that apps with arm code won't run, at least it appears to be so, while traditional m68k apps will run (most apps are still in this format). I've also noticed that the more apps you load into GVM the slower it is to start up, and maybe also to launch applications. If there are new versions coming then this is probably the easiest to fix - right now it scans the whole image file (where apps and data are stored), it should be simple to add an index- or hash function for faster lookup.

Can the Palm-apps that run in the GarnetVM see the SD-card?
A very interesting question. I have not tried. I forgot my N800 today so I can't test this right now.

And can the GarnetVM run in the screen-format that the T5/TX Palms have?
It can run 320x480-enabled applications, yes. What it cannot do (that I know) is to run these applications in landscape mode, that is, in Palm landscape mode. GVM can be set up to run the Palm apps in either N800 portrait or landscape mode, but that's a different thing.

Lastly, I don't think the N800 is heavy, compared to my Palm T3. I have never touched a TX, but there's more plastic in the TX than in the T3 I believe, so the TX is probably lighter than the T3. There have been pictures posted here (or links to, at least) with N810 vs N800 size comparisions.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Thanks for all replys.

One concern for me is that it seems the N800 seems to be considerably larger and heavier (are there any pictures that show a N800 and a TX side by side?). I need something that I can carry around anywhere at any time and that would allow me to read ebooks comfortably while e.g. travelling. Is the N800 a good device for that or do you basically need a table to support it when you want to use it for a longer period of time because it gets too heavy?

Many thanks!
I use the N800 for reading PDFs all the time. I read both e-books and large manuals. I read a large (900 page) manual all the way through with only a few rests for my eyes. That would have been impossible on my old iPaq as my eyes wouldn't have taken it. The resolution and screen quality of the IT are such that the amount of paper that I print has gone to nearly zero. I am working on getting e-copies of all my important books onto my IT.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
One concern for me is that it seems the N800 seems to be considerably larger and heavier...
The N800 is larger, there's no disputing that. For me though, my T5 was already a little larger than I'd have liked. My N800 is larger still, but it still fits in my pockets, and the trade-off for a much better device seemed worth it to me.

As for weight, the N800 is 7.3 oz, heavier than the T5 at 5.1 oz, but not enough to make a real difference to me.

...(are there any pictures that show a N800 and a TX side by side?).
Would photos of an N800 and a Tungsten T5 side-by-side be close enough?

...do you basically need a table to support it when you want to use it for a longer period of time because it gets too heavy?
I don't read ebooks, but I do use my N800 for extended periods of times reading RSS feeds and web pages. I don't find holding it uncomfortable, and prefer holding it to placing it on a table, even when one is available.

A PDA replacement in my mind means a good working PIM suite. I do not mean to be negative but GPE or Pimlico Date/Contact do not even come close to what a Palm device can do.

On the other hand: all other things are better on the N800. PDFs/multimedia/webbrower is much better on the N800. Most of this is because of the very sharp/crisp screen. The browser is also much better than anything I have seen on Palm or Windows Mobile devices.

So my solution for the moment is to carry a HTC PDAphone for syncing email & contacts with my laptop and for all the internet browsing/ebook reading/mobile media streaming I use the N800.