Hi all, I got a used N9 off Amazon for a decent price but have a few questions.. Actually, I've had it a few days so i dunno if i can still return it but may as well ask you guys first ..

1) my power/volume buttons are loose. they function just fine, and with the case on they have less wiggle room and are quiet. Not sure if I should be concerned about the long run [ANSWERED: seems to be an ok thing]

2) I did the checkerboard image test and i DO see the purple lines.. but after reading through that whole 20+ page thread I am still not sure if it is normal or not. My thought is that it is normal.. but I guess people are seeing it to varying degrees. I don't seem to see it when browsing the store,

3) Drive - sometimes the GPS seems to lose signal at the most inopportune of times..fault of gps tech, i guess? I end up stopping the navigation and restarting it with a new search for the same address. At other times, I'm worried the guide is trying to kill me with some of the directions he give seeming to be flat-out wrong. Also, the voice doesn't always match what I see on the screen (ie, screen says do a U-turn on my left, but navigator tells me to go right.. ) so I just trust the map.

4) Silly question.. if battery status is "Good" is that optimal? I assume so, but I did want to check if a new one would say "Excellent" or something =p [ANSWERED: Good = best]

5) When using CuteTube with not much on the screen, I freaked out because it looked like there was a big oval gray shape in the center of the screen. Pretty sure it's just in that app, which leads me to think it's the background for CuteTube..but can anyone confirm? [ANSWERED: seems to be ok]

6) I tried doing the Camera in the dark test to see if there were black spots/lines.. not sure but I think i'm ok. I did notice that if I held my finger on the tap-to-focus that i would start seeing some gray/white lines/scratchiness at the edges, but I think that's not a hw fault. confirm?

7) phone says I have pr 1.1 (20.2011.40-4_pr_005).. so, which part of the world do I supposedly live in? I got the phone used, so I am assuming it was updated by a user. THe Amazon description from FGS trading said it was like-new opened for demo..

I haven't noticed any creaking frames.. I have had one moment where I thought the phone froze or messed up, with what looked like two images/windows overlayed and the colours all messed up.. it resolved itself. I've noticed that in a bright setting the frame around the touch screen (ie, where it says nokia and has the sensor and the ffc) really stands out a lot.. and the sensor in particular looks real purple..but i guess that too is normal, right?

Any tips for cleaning the screen? I tried using a microfiber cloth that came with my sunglasses but it doesn't seem to help too much.

Any additional tips for what to check for? I haven't noticed it get too hot, though it has felt a bit warm.. i assume that's normal. Battery life doesn't seem to suck unless I play a lot of angry birds, so far. I've mostly used it for gps, calls, messages, chats. Need to put some music on it, but is there any specific way to check if my battery life is normal?

Last edited by original_z; 2012-02-22 at 23:00.

in regard to all of your hardware mechanical issues such as buttons and creaking, i think it is appropriate to expect such from a preowned phone.

the phone has prob been used for a couple of months at the very least unless other wise noted by seller

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by original_z View Post
5) When using CuteTube with not much on the screen, I freaked out because it looked like there was a big oval gray shape in the center of the screen. Pretty sure it's just in that app, which leads me to think it's the background for CuteTube..but can anyone confirm?
When using the dark theme, cuteTube uses the same background image as the stock music/video applications. The image has a gradient. From your description, I would say that your screen suffers from colour banding, probably caused by something similar to the purple tint issue that affects my N8. FWIW, I don't think that any screen that exhibits such problems can be considered 'normal'. This is a premium priced phone we are talking about.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-02-21 at 01:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by asadkhan1988 View Post
in regard to all of your hardware mechanical issues such as buttons and creaking, i think it is appropriate to expect such from a preowned phone.
I don't have any creaking, but the buttons are a bit loose.. I have looked a bit on the net and it seems some people have also reported that with new N9s.. not sure =/

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
When using the dark theme, cuteTube uses the same background image as the stock music/video applications. The image has a gradient. From your description, I would say that your screen suffers from colour banding, probably caused by something similar to the purple tint issue that affects my N8. FWIW, I don't think that any screen that exhibits such problems can be considered 'normal'. This is a premium priced phone we are talking about.
Let me attach an image or two and you can give me an opinion. I used screenshotmee. It only shows up in CuteTube. When I rotate the phone (and the screen rotates with me to landscape, for a split second I can see the gradient you refer to more explicitly with barriers (like seeing several ovals within each other.. lines and everything).
Attached Images

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
To address your GPS issues, I've experienced the same thing with both N9's that I have owned. GPS is spotty and a little dissapointing for a Nokia device..

The Following User Says Thank You to slashd0t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Slightly lose buttons are normal at least on the first batch (the N950 has it even a lot worse). A little creaking of the frame is normal as well for the first batch.

Your battery is fine. I've never seen anything else than "Good" in the battery status on N9 and N950. I assume "Good" is the best battery condition.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Hi all, I got a used N9 off Amazon for a decent price but have a few questions.. Actually, I've had it a few days so i dunno if i can still return it but may as well ask you guys first ..
Ok, here goes...

1) my power/volume buttons are loose. they function just fine, and with the case on they have less wiggle room and are quiet. Not sure if I should be concerned about the long run
Not really, the buttons I have a bit of wiggle without the case too...

2) I did the checkerboard image test and i DO see the purple lines.. but after reading through that whole 20+ page thread I am still not sure if it is normal or not. My thought is that it is normal.. but I guess people are seeing it to varying degrees. I don't seem to see it when browsing the store,
Where is this checkerboard image test, I've never heard of it.

3) Drive - sometimes the GPS seems to lose signal at the most inopportune of times..fault of gps tech, i guess? I end up stopping the navigation and restarting it with a new search for the same address. At other times, I'm worried the guide is trying to kill me with some of the directions he give seeming to be flat-out wrong. Also, the voice doesn't always match what I see on the screen (ie, screen says do a U-turn on my left, but navigator tells me to go right.. ) so I just trust the map.
Have you changed the supl server to google's?

4) Silly question.. if battery status is "Good" is that optimal? I assume so, but I did want to check if a new one would say "Excellent" or something =p
Yes, until it says anything but good, you're good.

5) When using CuteTube with not much on the screen, I freaked out because it looked like there was a big oval gray shape in the center of the screen. Pretty sure it's just in that app, which leads me to think it's the background for CuteTube..but can anyone confirm?
Never seen this, don't know what you are talking about...

6) I tried doing the Camera in the dark test to see if there were black spots/lines.. not sure but I think i'm ok. I did notice that if I held my finger on the tap-to-focus that i would start seeing some gray/white lines/scratchiness at the edges, but I think that's not a hw fault. confirm?
I haven't seen that either so I can't confirm...

7) phone says I have pr 1.1 (20.2011.40-4_pr_005).. so, which part of the world do I supposedly live in? I got the phone used, so I am assuming it was updated by a user. THe Amazon description from FGS trading said it was like-new opened for demo..
It's an unlocked Australian firmware, pr_005 is NDT Australia 64GB Black.

I haven't noticed any creaking frames.. I have had one moment where I thought the phone froze or messed up, with what looked like two images/windows overlayed and the colours all messed up.. it resolved itself. I've noticed that in a bright setting the frame around the touch screen (ie, where it says nokia and has the sensor and the ffc) really stands out a lot.. and the sensor in particular looks real purple..but i guess that too is normal, right?
Yup... I can take a picture to confirm the color of the ffc.

Any tips for cleaning the screen? I tried using a microfiber cloth that came with my sunglasses but it doesn't seem to help too much.
I put an invisible shield on my N9 so I don't have to clean the screen anymore...

Any additional tips for what to check for? I haven't noticed it get too hot, though it has felt a bit warm.. i assume that's normal. Battery life doesn't seem to suck unless I play a lot of angry birds, so far. I've mostly used it for gps, calls, messages, chats. Need to put some music on it, but is there any specific way to check if my battery life is normal?
To save battery life set power saver mode on and set network to gsm only. This will save a lot of battery, to see battery life download battery usage and check your idle draw, shouldn't be over so many mah

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your answers.

2) and the checkerboard image test, it was in the main thread about screen issues. look at Post number 55. When you put it in landscape and have the checkerboard fill half the screen, you will see some purple columns. TBH, optical effects like this can be done with a pencil and paper too.. but I don't think they look purple-ish...Might grab my co-workers 4s and see how it looks on her phone.
Post 102 in the same thread by the same Poster (zerion) has a gradient image to look at as well.
[update]checked on my co-workers phone and she doesn't have the lines, but that's not unexpected.. different display tech.
[update2] also, if you do not zoom the checkerboard and slide it back and forth in landscape mode like you're playing arkanoid or Breakout the checkerboard itself flashes purple.. probably because of the sudden change from black to white

3) I am not sure how to do that.. I'l try google it

5) Please check the images i attached in a later post in this thread. I used screenshotmee and that is the way it appears on my screen, so I am assuming that is how it is meant to be. I assume that screenshotmee would not pick up any flaws in the screen but would rather capture what the phone is intended to render/display..right? If not, I will happily take a photo with my camera.

6) I only noticed that scratchiness when using the camera during a tour of a cave.. don't really see it in a dark closet

7) I am surprised that it says I have a 64gb.. I've double-checked and I only have a 16gb according to the settings menu.

Last edited by original_z; 2012-02-21 at 18:46.

bump bump =)

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
5) Please check the images i attached in a later post in this thread. I used screenshotmee and that is the way it appears on my screen, so I am assuming that is how it is meant to be. I assume that screenshotmee would not pick up any flaws in the screen but would rather capture what the phone is intended to render/display..right? If not, I will happily take a photo with my camera.
If that's how it looks on the screen, then it's normal. The stock music and video applications have the same background. It looks a bit crappy because Harmattan uses 16 bit color depth.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post: