Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Australia
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to simply export the N810 desktop to a windows PC using say Putty or Xming?

I have attempted to do so using the command export DISPLAY= <MyIP>:0.0 from within a PuTTY session connected from a windows host to the n810 and running a x app (eg. xkcdha) without success.

This would be really handy to be able run a N810 desktop session from remote device with a full size keyboard. It would then help me better understand how to commence developing apps.

Cheers

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
VNC?

The n810 x-server is a exotic beast, its tied deeply with the touch screen. Running a VNC server on the tablet is the best choice.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
You are talking about x11 forwarding.

By default this is not supported on the tablet (attempt to do so and it will open the applications on the tablet; which is actually a useful for wonky tablets and has some carputer potential uses; but obviously annoying that x11 forwarding doesn't work)

I'm sure there is a workaround somewhere...but don't expect everything to work. gnome-terminal for example refuses to x11 forward on desktop boxes. If you wanted the reverse, someone made a nice GUI called AirX.

On Windows, mobaxterm is a great choice for x11 forwarding (as well as a replacement command prompt with emulated bash, ssh and emulated lshw)

Install and run x11vnc (1 session per opening process) and then one of them many vnc viewers on the client computer (tightvnc viewer is my recommendation on Windows)

and don't forget you can plug in a usb keyboard (with male microusb=>full-size female usb adapter) of course you still have a small screen with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Hey.........

Can a mod move this to either N810 or Maemo 4?

I just noticed this thread is in Maemo 5 / Fremantle erroneously.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestions. It enabled me to located this url on how to use VNC on the tablet
http://echenh.blogspot.com/2009/06/v...okia-n810.html

It worked a treat.

Although not being able to resize the screen as x11 forwarding or xdmcp is a bit of a pain.. Keen for any suggestions on this point.
Cheers,

The Following User Says Thank You to Laurence For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Hey.........

Can a mod move this to either N810 or Maemo 4?

I just noticed this thread is in Maemo 5 / Fremantle erroneously.
Sorry about that. Happy to have it moved, just let us know where it ends up!

Cheers,

Hey, now that you have it running, is it really laggy?

On my setup:

VNC from tablet into PC (pc= server) = good speed
VNC from PC into tablet (N810 = server) = super lag

Same with you?
Yes, same situation with my setup over a local WiFi LAN. Still usable though..

Also some areas within specific dialog boxes are non responsive from keyboard input from the PC to the tablet. eg. typing text into a Skype chat window is problematic. It would be nice to be able to resize the screen to a larger size..

Can you open the application menu?

I can open personal menu and the web menu, but the app menu, for some reason, doesn't respond.

(Touch screen works, just not remote mouse)
Yes. I have the same issue.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I can open personal menu and the web menu, but the app menu, for some reason, doesn't respond.
Plug: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1046 *whistles and walks away*

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: