Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
As much as I like my N800, it's still pretty slow when viewing forum pages using the "desktop" (dark) style - it's graphics and javascript heavy, and the resulting pages are very complex meaning even micro-b has a hard time displaying them (in particular "go to first unread post" causes micro-b to stall/hang for several seconds).

The "mobile" style generates much less complex pages which are basic and spartan - ideal for a mobile phone, but not very attractive.

When viewing on a 770 or N800 it would be great to have a hybrid style that is more attractive and better laid out than "mobile", but not as graphics/javascript heavy as "dark". Is this possible? It seems odd that this site doesn't already have a style optimised (ie. reduced complexity & reduced bandwidth) for use on Internet Tablets.

I believe I made the exact same remarks and request (although maybe not in so many words)... somewhere around december, 2005 :-)

Edit - Ah, no, it was actually in january, 2006 :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1001

...but there were quite a lot of words in fact :-)

Agreed....

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I believe I made the exact same remarks and request (although maybe not in so many words)... somewhere around december, 2005 :-)

Edit - Ah, no, it was actually in january, 2006 :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1001

...but there were quite a lot of words in fact :-)
You must be a fiction writer.

I use the "classic" style and I believe it works better on the tablets. The light background is easier to see on the small screen and it just seems faster to me (probably my eyes playing tricks)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Chicago, IL, USA
Given that ITT works fine with JavaScript turned off, it'd be nice if we could get regular Moz extensions to work with microb so we could use stuff like No Script and just block all the useless JavaScript on the site. I gave up trying to browse ITT with my N800 because it is so painfully slow with all the JavaScript and advert banners.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Sorry fpp - a voice in my head was saying it had already been raised, I should have searched!

"Classic" still downloads too many graphics and a complex page layout. I'm looking for something _really_ simple yet more attractive than "mobile" which is just not very well laid out at all when you have a screen as big as those on the Tablets.

I've been using the "Mobile Phone" style on this site for the last few days and while it's not perfect, the "Get New Posts" and "Get Daily Posts" pages are very usable (if a little psychedelic) and each page downloads almost instantly without putting too much strain on the N800 - reduced "strain" equals less CPU usage which equals increased battery lifetime!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You must be a fiction writer.
I'm not, but sometimes I think I chose the wrong career :-)

I agree with fender fella about preferring the classic style on the N800. I prefer not to log in from the N800 (which would give me my personal setup, which is classic style) because that will presumably mess up the 'New Posts' history, which I prefer to handle from the desktop. Thus I'm stuck with the default style. And I'm also with Milhouse w.r.t. the rest.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I don't mind the darkness or graphics, but I would like the page numbers on the bottom right to be a bit bigger. they are hard to get to on the 770