Unlike maemo which is more community driven, it looks like MeeGo is garnering for developer (and manufacturer) support from the corporate developers. Big names like BMW, Asus and EA sound off their MeeGo support:

[URL="http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2010/04/public-support-meego-project"]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
I wonder how accurate that list is (and how many companies will actually be supporting it). Though if it's true then it seems that's the benefit of having an open platform (as in not locked to one device like the iPhone or even Maemo currently is). If Meego is a success then you'll find it spread on alot of platforms similar to how Android is spreading.

Then onward to OS domination! =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Yes!!!!!! Finally!! Can't wait for this!

Allow me to voice my ignorance for a moment here;

I know its open source and all, but does this mean Nokia and Intel will get royalties?

I ask because Nokia unlike Google or Apple, will be competing in hardware sales for their own OS.

Inclusion of EA is a bit weird, but welcome

“As the #1 worldwide publisher of mobile games, EA Mobile is excited about MeeGo and how it will help us to more efficiently and economically bring our great games to consumers,” said Farshid Almassizadeh, VP Worldwide Operations, EA Mobile.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I assume that at this point they're not making any resource investments and commitments (financial, manhours, etc) other than verbal support to be included in this program?

I will wait til there's measurable development before popping open the champagne ...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
Allow me to voice my ignorance for a moment here;

I know its open source and all, but does this mean Nokia and Intel will get royalties?

I ask because Nokia unlike Google or Apple, will be competing in hardware sales for their own OS.
No, Nokia & Intel will not get any royalties.

And yes, they'll be competing in hardware sales. Presumably they believe that the larger market (phones, tablets, PCs, etc.), along with reduced OS development costs, will offset that. The larger the potential market, the more apps will get written, and that'll drive more sales. They're already in a similar situation with Symbian (I think it's offered royalty-free now anyway), and seem to be coping.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Selling through Ovi Store accounts for 70%/30% model. On top of that is applied 40-50% operator billing tax if you buy through one and at last on top of all that you have VAT. So yes, Nokia probably gets some money after all For distribution.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Selling through Ovi Store accounts for 70%/30% model. On top of that is applied 40-50% operator billing tax if you buy through one and at last on top of all that you have VAT. So yes, Nokia probably gets some money after all For distribution.
Yes, but there's no reason that the Ovi store will be a monopoly for MeeGo apps. So the situation for Nokia making money on software will be same as with hardware -- not through exclusivity (royalties, patents, etc.) but by selling in a competitive marketplace.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Yes, but there's no reason that the Ovi store will be a monopoly for MeeGo apps. So the situation for Nokia making money on software will be same as with hardware -- not through exclusivity (royalties, patents, etc.) but by selling in a competitive marketplace.
They've already said there's infrastructure in place for branded stores. Hopefully there are plans to keep the back-end between the stores synchronized and the front ends branded, otherwise you end up with horribly fragmented stores.