For some reason I can't figure out I can't delete files or folders in the file manager on my SD cards. I can create folders, but I can't delete them. I can not move or copy files. I continually get "Operation failed" errors.

There is no issue doing any of this from the command prompt (not as root either) or via Canoe. No other application (Notes, Xournal, etc.) has any problem writing to the cards either.

This may be causing the root issue I am trying to deal with, which is why it can't copy a file from Bluetooth. In that case, I can't even copy a file to internal memory, where I can delete files in File Manager. I'd be happy to use Canoe instead of File Manager but it does not appear to be aware of Bluetooth.

Any hints?

I was getting this error, and it turned out my SD card was corrupted. Dmesg showed it being remounted read-only because of a FAT error. However, in my case, I couldn't delete from anywhere - Xterm, canoe, etc.

Might be worth a quick fsck or chkdsk on a PC though - and why, oh why, is there not an fsck.vfat on the tablet!?

Yeah, this does not appear to be a fat error because it's happening on two known good cards. I can double-check when I'm home (Windoze machine at work doesn't have an SD reader).

Cards are fine.

Is File Manager just junk? I'm fine with using Canoe if there's a way to view Bluetooth connections with it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
"Just junk" is a broad statement. FM has drawbacks but for the most part works. So you are experiencing something unique.

I would still suspect something going on with the cards, even if they can be read in another enviroment. Troubleshooting means eliminating the unlikely and being left with the likely, regardless of how improbable it may seem (ripping off Arthur Conan Doyle there).

I think I've seen problems similar to yours here... try searching the posts.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think I've seen problems similar to yours here... try searching the posts.
I have. I think I've exhausted the resources of this board on this issue. Thanks!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I truly hate to bump this; however I'm seeing the exact same thing. I've searched the site via google methods - site:internettablettalk.com delete operation failed - and after a full 4 hours of weeding through this site and that word combination, I'm still no closer to the solution.

Any ideas?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
ok... hate to bump my last remark... however for clarification, I can still use xterm to rm items... without incident. I tend to stick to doing things as root; however File Manager just fails... and honestly, it didn't when I first flashed it to OS 2007 HE.

I've been all the way through this site, Maemo, and just about as complex/simple of a inquiry and I'm just not finding a proper solution.

I get the same. I can manage files as root through xterm but can't delete/rename/etc in fm.
Could it have anything to do with the owner/creator of the files? I'm a bit linux inept, so feel free to tell me that's silly.