Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle, WA
Yeah, so everything in my backup is being restored except contacts. I even tried using an older backup, and that didn't work.

The funny thing is that it worked the first time, then I had to go out of internet range when the applications were downloading, so I had to stop that. After starting I was silly and didn't just click applications, so it wen through the whole process. Restoring contacts then deleted every single one, and I haven't been able to restore it since.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Venlo-Blerick, The Netherlands
i've fully reflashed to 1.2 including emmc, restored communication and calender from a 1.1 backup, calender is fine, but no contacts.

manually swapping ~/.osso-abook dirs around from a manual home dir backup doesn't work either (yes i've rebooted too). importing also appears to be a nogo.

anyone know a clever way to restore them? copy pasting? don't have them on the sim, not using nokia suite/outlook.

a last resort would be manually adding everything again by copy pasting from the backed up ~/.osso-abook/db/addressbook.db file opened in a text editor, but i'd like to refrain from that.

Last edited by cure; 2010-06-01 at 00:11.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
Very wired but the backup feature on the n900 doesn't backup contacts. you had to export the contacts. I experienced the same thing when i flashed the eMMc.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is happening because pcsuite is not fully compatible with the device and does not allow a proper backup to the pc backing up all contact data as it used to do so once again Nokia has allowed this problem to go on and on without making sure pcsuite does the basic functions of backup.
This has been the case now for months.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Venlo-Blerick, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Abemelek View Post
Very wired but the backup feature on the n900 doesn't backup contacts.
actually, if you open \home\user\MyDocs\backups\*\comm_and_cal.zip

and then in that zip: \home\user\.osso-abook-backup\.osso-abook\db\addressbook.db

you will see your contacts. the backup app either doesn't seem to do anything with it when restoring, or its broken.

you had to export the contacts. I experienced the same thing when i flashed the eMMc.
yes i noticed the export option too late, won't happen again, that's for sure :(.

Last edited by cure; 2010-06-01 at 00:25.

Originally Posted by cure View Post
actually, if you open \home\user\MyDocs\backups\*\comm_and_cal.zip

and then in that zip: \home\user\.osso-abook-backup\.osso-abook\db\addressbook.db

you will see your contacts. the backup app either doesn't seem to do anything with it when restoring, or its broken.

yes i noticed the export option too late, won't happen again, that's for sure .
So how do we export the contact again? Do we need to do it on N900 or via computer/PC?

amir

Originally Posted by amiraseri View Post
So how do we export the contact again? Do we need to do it on N900 or via computer/PC?
i just opened \home\user\.osso-abook-backup\.osso-abook\db\addressbook.db with a text editor on my pc, manually copy/pasted all the data back to my n900 contacts through vnc (x11vnc package on n900, tight vnc viewer on desktop). kept me busy for over an hour. of course you can paste your data in nokia suite as well and upload that to the n900.

made backups and exported them as vcards straight after, so it won't happen to me again.

copy everything from osso-abook-backup(from backup folder) to the current osso-abook and i seem to have everything back.

-Edit-
Had to restore once more but this time i had to remove osso-abook-temp for it to work.

Last edited by exuvo; 2010-06-15 at 02:59.

Hi, have just wiped my phone and done the same thing as everyone lese here (didn't use the contact backup up)
I mean, who'd have thought that the contacts wouldn't be backed up with everything else....
anyway, i've found the .oss-abook-backup directory and have tried copying db/addressbook.db into /home/user/.osso-abook/db/
but I'm not getting my contacts back.
were there any additional steps anybody had to follow to restore their contacts in this way?
all the data is there in the addressbook.db card but whenever I overwrite the default file the contacts still appear empty (have tried rebooting etc multiple times)

any help would be much appreciated.