Hello,

I have read the the posts and documents/wiki for uploading my first application to extras-devel as a starting point. i still have some enquiries.
i have developed my application using Nokia Qt SDK under windows xp.
i have the source code and debian package and works fine on my N900.
I followed the Extras Assistant root, and now i am stuck on step 2 where you have to upload '.changes' file. where this .change file is supposed to be or generated? i came across some posts where people end up using maemo sdk under linux to do that. can i avoid this (installing maemo sdk)? is there any easy way to create manually??

Thanks

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
As far as I know, the changes file is generated only when you use the debhelpers on a Linux system - in this case the scratchbox environment (maemo sdk).

I recommend downloading the maemo sdk virtual machine. It is the least painful way to get to the final goal: uploading to extras.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Hey raedbenz, I feel your pain as Im also developing with Qt SDK on Windows XP. I've wasted days on this. But the good news is it certainly can be done. Let me share some of my experience so you don't need go through the same

When you say the SDK, are you using the Qt Creator IDE with that? If not, go and download that right away. It's going to save you a lot of problems.

When you build your project using Qt Creator it'll create the debian files for you in a new folder, you wont see it in the project tree but it'll be in the project folder on your hard drive when you open it up. There's individual debian files for details such as changelog etc. You should edit these to include your name and email, app descriptions, etc. These sections in each file are commented for you when you open them up so you'll know what to edit and where. Word of warning here, if you save your file in windows without converting from dos your project will still build on your machine but will fail when it hits autobuilder. The Maemo autobuilder does not expect Windows line delimiters. Personally I use the free programs fromdos.exe and todos.exe to change between them when I need to. I wasted 4 days on my first upload to autobuilder trying to figure out that error.

You can create your debian packages using the MADDE tool, but my recommendation is to follow this guide from attila77, and you'll have the extra step needed to build everything ready for autobuilder from within QtCreator. From the guide you'll need to change the custom command step so it reads ...

Code:
C:\NokiaQtSDK\Maemo\4.6.2\madbin\mad.cmd
... or wherever your mad.cmd path is on your machine, ofcourse.

When you do that you'll find Qt Creator has left 3 files for you to upload - the changes file you need to get past step 2 of autobuilder, and the tar and dsc files you need to get past step 3. These files are left one folder up from your project's working folder. So if you're working in "c:\QtCreatorProjects\raedbenzApp" you'll find them in "c:\QtCreatorProjects"

Once you've uploaded your 3 files it'll ask if you are ready to move them to the autobuilder queue. About 15-20 mins later you'll get an email saying if the build was successful or not. If all's good, then about another 30 mins later your app will appear on maemo extras-devel.

I hope everything goes smooth and good luck with your first app upload! Let us know if you get any error messages, I've had a few and might be able to help you figure it out. And what's the app? I'll keep an eye out for it

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-02-18 at 01:26.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
@kojacker: where were you about a year ago when I needed this?
aaaargh!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Hello kojacker,

Thanks a lot for your post. really useful.
this is the error i got so far, i have not modified yet the changelog, etc..from debian package generated by qt creator. NOTE: the build output goes to the same directory of the project i.e. E:\Software\NOKIAQTSDK\mywork\arabiciradio

image host

any hints please??
also the qt creator settings are:

upload image
also tried to change the $BUILDDIR to 'E:\Software\NOKIAQTSDK\mywork\arabiciradio' but same.

Originally Posted by raedbenz View Post
Hello kojacker,

Thanks a lot for your post. really useful.
this is the error i got so far, i have not modified yet the changelog, etc..from debian package generated by qt creator. NOTE: the build output goes to the same directory of the project i.e. E:\Software\NOKIAQTSDK\mywork\arabiciradio

any hints please??
also the qt creator settings are:

also tried to change the $BUILDDIR to 'E:\Software\NOKIAQTSDK\mywork\arabiciradio' but same.
Although there's a lot of red there, you can ignore everything down to the "Error in tempfile()...." part. Hmm.. on the face of it appears to be a write permissions issue with your mywork folder, could you check it has full write permissions to it? Give modify and write access to everyone and machine/users if it's not already set and try running it again.

($BUILDDIR is fine, you dont need worry about that)

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I have given up building source deb from qt creator directly. I just use it to code and test, than I open madde and follow this guide: http://wiki.maemo.org/Packaging_Qt_C...r_Maemo_Extras

The Following User Says Thank You to gionni88 For This Useful Post:
hello,

i uninstalled nokiaqtsdk 1.0.1 and installed 1.0.2 (in the same directory) and now works fine..thanks very much...

The Following User Says Thank You to raedbenz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by raedbenz View Post
hello,

i uninstalled nokiaqtsdk 1.0.1 and installed 1.0.2 (in the same directory) and now works fine..thanks very much...
Hey raedbenz, glad to see you're making progress but ive been watching the autobuilder queue and noticed you've hit a snag

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/builder4/maemo-fremantle-armel-extras-devel/work/arabiciradio-0.3.0'
Makefile:105: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop
I had exactly the same problem the other night! But nicolai had the answer - http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=947483&postcount=3. If you do that, rebuild again to get your 3 files, and re-upload it should build ok

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-02-19 at 00:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
thanks for the reply..but i ma back to square one.
i just booted up my pc and tried to build the project and got the same red lines about writing permissions ??!! What a dilemma!...!!
i did the modifications on rules file:
Code:
	# Add here commands to compile the package.
	qmake
	$(MAKE)
and removed '$(MAKE) clean', but still no joy.

then i place the project folder in new directory e.g. arabiciradio-work and did a build and went fine....
i uploaded the file to extras devel and this is what i got.

hints guys..??

Thanks

Last edited by raedbenz; 2011-02-19 at 09:53.