Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Well, I am experiencing this weird router problem.

In my room I had full signal strength, I could even get on the network from my N900 from outside the apartment block without a problem.

Starting 5-6 months ago, the signal quality began to be worse. In my room I could get 4/5 signal lines, but outside I could only get some signal if I would stand under the window.

Until now, a simple clean-up (opening and cleaning) and some time-out (meaning about 1-2h the device to stay unplugged) solved this problem, but tonight it's worse than ever, I cleaned it, let it rest but the signal is worse than ever. I got no signal in the spot that until now I had full or 4/5 bars of signal.

I changed the channels, updated the security protocol, and nothing seemed to work. I reflashed the firmware, still nothing.

Extra info: The router is positioned in THE CENTER of my apartment, and I even changed the antenna cable, still no better signal.

The weird part is that my phones can still connect (Windows Phone - 4/5 strength, Xperia X1, 3/5 strength) and use it, while my laptops can't (Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 W8 - 1/5 strength, Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Ui3520 - 1/5 strength, Dell Latitude D505 - 0/5 can't even see the SSID) from the same position.

So I tried almost everything that I could find on the internet and can't get it to work... The router is a D-Link DI-524, 5-6 years old.

Here are some screenshots:

The Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 reception:

Name:  pc.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  23.2 KB
CLICK FOR LARGE PREVIEW!

And here is the reception from my HTC 8s:

Name:  wp_ss_20130707_0001.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  20.2 KB

Note, they were both in the same position (the HTC being hooked up to the laptop via USB), and the notebook still getting signals from my neighbors better then the phone (so this way you can't recommend that my WLAN card is broken).

After reading carefully what I've tried, do you have anymore thoughts about this problem, what to try? I will be out of town tomorrow, so I can leave it again for a 24h rest, but if this does not work, I would like to try your ideas!

----------------------------------------------

LATER EDIT:

After 30 mins after I wrote this post, none of the phones can't connect to the network, they can still find it, but they can't connect to it... The wired LAN is also having problems, slow speed, time outs, etc.

Still waiting suggestions, because the situation is getting worse by the time...

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-07 at 03:02.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
A hammer could do the job

What do you mean by changing the antenna cable?

Originally Posted by bill_klpd View Post
A hammer could do the job

What do you mean by changing the antenna cable?
Yes, I think you are right, and by hammer job you mean get a new router.

I changed the old cable from the board to the antenna, it was already damaged in several places, since I'm not the only one who opened up that router and cleaned it.

I still get 2/5 bars of signal, and sometimes, the connection to the wi-fi works (but very poor signal). Signal is fluctuating badly from second to second. Meaning that right now I'm getting 4/5, the next second 1/5, and again and again.

The LAN also works, and doesn't work...

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
I changed the old cable from the board to the antenna, it was already damaged in several places, since I'm not the only one who opened up that router and cleaned it.
Did you solder anything for doing it?

Did you solder anything for doing it?
Yes, it had to be done, but it was only one big soldering point (one single antenna), and I got a cable the same length, and same consitency (measured by eye).

Now, after another reflash, seems like the LAN is stable and working fine, but still can't get to connect to the WLAN (it's broadcasting, but the laptops give me a "Can't connect error").

Here you go some pictures I just took!

Name:  Camera360_2013_7_7_040120.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  Camera360_2013_7_7_040128.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  63.3 KB

And here is a pic from Google, with the original solder point, and how it looks like: http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/toh/d...524.rev.b4.jpg

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-07 at 13:07.

Well I think that you have put much solder on the board... Try removing some of this and put as little as possible, because much solder means more resistance for your antenna
Maybe this is why the antenna doesn't work as it used to

Well I think that you have put much solder on the board... Try removing some of this and put as little as possible, because much solder means more resistance for your antenna
Maybe this is why the antenna doesn't work as it used to
Yes, another friend told me this, but my only question is: okay, I put too much solder on that spot, but, that cable is supposed to power a 10 m aerial (optional package for that router), how can a drop of soulder be much worse than 10m of strong cable.

The next step is going to be to remove the solder, but my question is how... All I have is a sharp point soldering iron, any tips?

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Yes, another friend told me this, but my only question is: okay, I put too much solder on that spot, but, that cable is supposed to power a 10 m aerial (optional package for that router), how can a drop of soulder be much worse than 10m of strong cable.

The next step is going to be to remove the solder, but my question is how... All I have is a sharp point soldering iron, any tips?
Maybe it is a bad solder and this can give you more resistance as well...
You can try removing some of the solder by putting it in a new wire and just let some of the old and add some new... Just don't put so much, and see if it works

Maybe it is a bad solder and this can give you more resistance as well...
You can try removing some of the solder by putting it in a new wire and just let some of the old and add some new... Just don't put so much, and see if it works
Trying right now... I'll be back with the results

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but it's not working, used the most minimal soldering I could use, just a very very thin layer, and now, the signal is even worse, here in my room I can't even find the router... But as I said, LAN is working fine .

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-07 at 14:10.

Maybe it's the wire? I don't think that it has to do with the software, but with the hardware...