Active Topics

Notices

This busybox is horrible. Every program built-in is low quality and fails in majority of functions. Do you know some type of replacement for it like normal linux shell or isn't there better idea to just replace all these subprograms?

Last edited by oneat; 2011-04-23 at 08:08.

bash4? 0.o

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
install bash4, touch /bin/bash, symlink /bin/bash to /bin/bash4, install coreutils-gnu. setup aliases to use the g{PROGRAM_NAME_HERE} instead of the built-in busybox utils.

Originally Posted by oneat View Post
This busybox is horrible. Every program built-in is low quality and fails in majority of functions. Do you know some type of replacement for it like normal linux shell or isn't there better idea to just replace all these subprograms?
I totally disagree. Busybox is very high quality software.

What I would agree with is that it is infuriatingly limited for interactive shells... especially when you are used to bash and the full GNU suite. But be clear - that is not because of poor quality, only it is natural because Busybox is written with very different design constraints and goals - and for what it is intended to do - its brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

(Sorry my FUD alarm just threw a wobbly!)

Originally Posted by phedders View Post
I totally disagree. Busybox is very high quality software.

What I would agree with is that it is infuriatingly limited for interactive shells... especially when you are used to bash and the full GNU suite. But be clear - that is not because of poor quality, only it is natural because Busybox is written with very different design constraints and goals - and for what it is intended to do - its brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

(Sorry my FUD alarm just threw a wobbly!)
I didn't mean that busybox is low quality. I meant that built-in apps like grep etc got lower functionality than their cousins in standard linux bash.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
setup aliases to use the g{PROGRAM_NAME_HERE} instead of the built-in busybox utils.
Hi there, could someone please help with setting up the aliases. I'm not really sure where to put bashrc .. (there is no profile.d folder in /etc)
I tried the existend profiled folder but I couldn't see any differences in bash terminal. I tried only some custom color settings so far.

Thx in advance,

..::J4ZZ::..

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Originally Posted by oneat View Post
Maybe you are looking fore something like in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71987&page=3
surge for the post of iDont #26