Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
The screen on the new samsung is a bit of a disappointment if looked at like that. Ugly cross hatching.
It's easily the most impressive screen there based on a number of metrics.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It's easily the most impressive screen there based on a number of metrics.
Granted - but metrics are metrics and visuals are visuals and in the comparison photo you posted its majorly cross hatchy.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Granted - but metrics are metrics and visuals are visuals and in the comparison photo you posted its majorly cross hatchy.
Yes, but that comparison photo certainly does not tell an accurate story as you alluded to in your post -- unless, or course, you can see the sub-pixels in a screen during usage

Indeed that particular visual will mislead. Going on that visual will lead you to believe that the SAMOLED+ screen is the worst of the lot, when in fact an eyes-on comparison should lead you to a different conclusion. In this photo, the 'cross hatchy' visuals are likely due to increased contrast between the sub-pixels, and the lower resolution than the iPhone 4 screen.

Granted, the resolution is lower than the iPhone display, though (IMHO) in practicality, the law of diminishing returns kicks into overdrive when going above WVGA on those small screens. Having used a WVGA screen for years, and an iPhone4's resolution more than a few times, I would list it as a *slight* advantage, and would not otherwise notice it unless I was looking. Further, the resolution only leads to clarity as the small screen does not lend it to higher real-estate.

What I *would* notice (because I notice this all the time) are colour saturation, white levels, black levels, contrast, and viewing angles (especially the last two). SAMOLED does these very well. I even love how close the 'screen' is to the outer glass and when the screen is black, the device looks as though it is off. When there's only one object floating on a dark screen, it looks as if its emanating from the devices body.

It is no secret that I'm a fan of SAMOLED tech. Not because it's from a specific company, but because after only 3 generations, its arguably the finest screen tech on small screens. Eyes, on, it really is a pleasure to use, and SAMOLED+ promises to combine the sub-pixel advantage of LCD with the colour advantages of SAMOLED at a resolution that is known to be very comfortable.

All things equal, I wouldn't hesitate to choose a SAMOLED+ over an LCD any day of the week. To me, it's a major selling feature, considering that the screen is the most important interface on a device. Others may prioritize things differently.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-05-05 at 12:28.

Here's a good article on the original Galaxy S SAMOLED screen in relation to some others:

http://displaymate.com/Galaxy_S_ShootOut.htm

It was lauded as being a great new tech with great viewing angles, contrast, etc, but criticized for its overblown 'enahanced' colour saturation, blue whites, and low peak-whiteness (theorized to be for power saving).

The SAMOLED+ propaganda hints at more accurate colour reproduction.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Samsung Rules.

This has something to do with Android, but who cares.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Samsung Rules.
This has something to do with Android, but who cares.
You remember Meego? The OS that was hyped to be found in phones but also cars, remote controls, home appliances?
Reading the link above made me remind it dearly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
You remember Meego?
Hell, I remember Mer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
If this simple extrapolation can be trusted, it would seem that the Android market will meet the iOS market app count in August of this year, and surge past it in short order.

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...xt-few-months/

What's most interesting, is that Android apps going forward will be functional on different display sizes, as well as different architectures (not true for native apps). Honeycomb is likely to see a similar boom in app production.

This will of course cue the quality-vs-quantity argument.

Google Maps has seen another bump to 5.4.0.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-maps-updated-540

The bump is modest, but has some welcome features:
  • View your Google Maps searches in Google Web History for your account.
  • See additional business details for each search result on the map
  • Report "destination not here" in Navigation (Beta)

I especially like the last one, which adds a 'crowd source' element to the mapping system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's a hands on video with the Galaxy Tab 8.9:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qln6FslfM_8

Looking good! Nothing special, but certainly a nice form factor.

I'd be torn between the Transformer and this device. I prefer the form factor/weight/specs of the Tab 8.9, but the Transformer's keyboard-with-battery is a really compelling feature!

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy