Active Topics

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Hello everyone,

I have decided to begin releasing my easydebian image templates, in the hopes that others will have to spend less time waiting for their devices to chug along installing/upgrading software.

The first one I will be releasing is simply an upgraded version of qole's most recent easydebian image from November 28th.

I have pinned pulseaudio to ensure that audio still works within the chroot.

This image is fully updated, and ready to do your bidding.
Grab it at: http://forge.localcoast.net/clients/....img.ext2.lzma

The only known issue with this release is that the /var/cache/apt/archives/partial directory is missing, and needs to be created. (you can use `mkdir` to create the directory). The following command will fix this issue:
Code:
mkdir /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
If I receive positive feedback on this release, I will roll out some templates for web developers (LAMP server stack), and so on.

Please let me know if you have any ideas for some custom templates.

To install the template to a partition (highly recommended), follow these steps: Note that you need to replace /dev/xxx with the formatted ext2|3 partition on the N900 or microSD card that you intend to use.

Code:
sudo su

mkdir /mnt/ed-img
mkdir /mnt/n900sd

mount -o loop /path/to/image.ext2 /mnt/ed-img
mount /dev/xxx /mnt/n900sd

cd /mnt/ed-img

#this command while take a good long time.. (15 minutes?)
tar cf - . | tar xfp - -C /mnt/n900sd

#un-mount the filesystems.
cd ~
umount /mnt/ed-img
umount /mnt/n900sd
Don't forget to update /home/user/.chroot to point to the correct location.
Eg:
Code:
IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk1p6
or
Code:
IMGFILE=/media/mmc1/debian-m5-lc-v1a.img.ext2
Notice: I hereby disclaim any damage(s), or issue(s) caused by the use of these/this modfied file(s). Only make these changes if you already have an issue, and are looking to fix it. Be sure to backup all user data before making changes.

UPDATE: A new image was released, aimed at web developers. You can download it at http://forge.localcoast.net/clients/....img.ext2.lzma
This image contains all the package upgrades of the m5-lc-v1a image, but adds apache2, mysql, php, and phpmyadmin.
The mysql root password for this image is "password".

Last edited by AndrewX192; 2011-05-07 at 23:23. Reason: Change post title to include [Announce]

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey AndrewX192,

Having a set of EasyDebian "appliance" images is a great idea!

I can host these compressed images for you on my server.

But make sure you address all the bugs (like the missing /partial dir) first. I can then upload it to my server, and even add it to the list of images available from the installer.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hey AndrewX192,

Having a set of EasyDebian "appliance" images is a great idea!

I can host these compressed images for you on my server.

But make sure you address all the bugs (like the missing /partial dir) first. I can then upload it to my server, and even add it to the list of images available from the installer.
Yeah. If there is interest in making more of these templates/appliances, I will defiantly go for it.

How much bandwith a month are you using for hosting the current easydebian templates? I should be able to scale my hosting to handle any reasonable amount of demand on those images.

I will probably fix that missing partial directory tonight. The real issue is getting the file uploaded in a sane amount of time. Last round I uploaded over T-Mobile because I was getting better upload speeds on 3G than on my cable Internet. (1.5Mb/s vs 768kb/s).

Could you please list somewhere the changes in this compared to the one released by Master Qole last year??

This will greatly help people download such a big file better.

I am currently downloading the file... slow internet, too slow maybe..

anyways how do u chroot into this (noob alert :P)??

just replace the old image in MyDocs, and put this in that place (with the same name)???

Hi! Is flash player fixed on this one? (No i'm not asking for flash 10 but flash 9)

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
I am currently downloading the file... slow internet, too slow maybe..

anyways how do u chroot into this (noob alert :P)??

just replace the old image in MyDocs, and put this in that place (with the same name)???
You can replace the current file, or you can follow my instructions provided in the first post of this thread.
The file you need to change is /home/user/.chroot

I recommend the latter option so you can switch between images easily.

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
Could you please list somewhere the changes in this compared to the one released by Master Qole last year??

This will greatly help people download such a big file better.
The only changes to this version was an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade were performed (pulseaudio was not upgraded, however). About 420 packages were updated via apt-get upgrade.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Hi! Is flash player fixed on this one? (No i'm not asking for flash 10 but flash 9)
Not sure what you mean by "fixed", but Adobe's website says flash was detected.

I have updated the original post to include a new image, aimed at web developers.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewX192 For This Useful Post: