Active Topics

Hi,

I want to connect my Nokia 770 to a ethernet switch. I see that there is some usb ethernet adapter compatible with Nokia 770, but I don't have additional usb hub to power this device. There are some usb ethernet adapter that works with nokia 770 without additional power supply??

How can I connect my Nokia 770 to a wired ethernet lan?

Thx,

aissen

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
As far as I know, you need to have the 'power injector'...

the 770's usb port does not provide power, and in fact requires soemthing to power it as it's really only built to be a client. it's host abilities are a nice feature of the chipset but the unit isn't constructed to be a host.

something to power the usb device is required when using the 770 in host mode.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
Originally Posted by aissen

How can I connect my Nokia 770 to a wired ethernet lan?

aissen
You've not made it clear it the connection must be wired, or whether a wireless link to the lan would be accecptable. Is there a particular reason for using a wired connection?

A wireless access point added to the lan would be the easiest solution, and probably the cheapest. Most folks would use wi-fi, but there are bluetooth access points too, e.g. http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=110528
Though whether this would work, and why it might be favoured over wi-fi for 770 use Ii don't know.

it's also possibly to connect to a PC via usb ethernet (a driver that links the pc and handheld with a usb cable as though it's ethernet) and have the pc share

Originally Posted by chrwei
it's also possibly to connect to a PC via usb ethernet (a driver that links the pc and handheld with a usb cable as though it's ethernet) and have the pc share
Do you have a link to instructions/driver?

-Jason

the great maemo howto's
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo
check in the networking section, technicaly this should work on a windows pc too via http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/W...sbNetworkHowTo

Presumably you're not up for soldering a hub to provide power, but the Linksys USB200M is pretty compact.

I'm planning on building myself a dock (mini-usb, power via splicing a Nokia CA-44(?) cable into a 5V supply) and modding a usb hub to provide power from the hub. I'm going to be plugging one of these adapters into that hub, amongst other things.

BTW, I've only had my 770 for a short time, is the power thing an artifact of the USB client mode? Does the host mode (when enabled) not require it? I'm not after the power, though, just saving solder.

Ooh, also, does anyone know where I can get a spare silver cover for the 770? Does anyone have a broken unit that they no longer want? TIA

for a device to be a true dual mode client/host it would need to be able to turn off the power when in client mode and back on when in host mode. then you run the risk of plugging in as a client when in host mode and sending voltage to your pc usb port and likely blowing something up along the way.

the safe way would be to have a special connector and a different cable for host and client and have the pins wired different so power can't get send when using the client cable, but now you got a special cable and no one really wants that.

I'm not saying the 770 should supply power, just whether or not it needs a TTL level (or however it recognises it) when in host mode. I'm going to have mine in host all the time anyway.