Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
i was just browsing my file manager and clicked Shared Media when i noticed that there is a folder on it. i have no idea how it get there, a folder called ERIC:Eric M:
then i double clicked it and it has subfolders with media files on it. is this a virus? or is this Eric guy a hacker? i tried opening under its videos folder, and it has The Office vidx on it, and i click it and it starts to stream. this is so weird coz my bluetooth is off and really have no idea how it got on my Nokia N800. i might just delete the folder, but just wondering how it got there.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by ferjant View Post
i was just browsing my file manager and clicked Shared Media when i noticed that there is a folder on it. i have no idea how it get there, a folder called ERIC:Eric M:
then i double clicked it and it has subfolders with media files on it. is this a virus? or is this Eric guy a hacker? i tried opening under its videos folder, and it has The Office vidx on it, and i click it and it starts to stream. this is so weird coz my bluetooth is off and really have no idea how it got on my Nokia N800. i might just delete the folder, but just wondering how it got there.
Don't have it here...

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
How close are you to a potential wireless source? If your on a boat a mile from land by yourself does it still happen?
I can stream from about 100ft.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
OK im like 20 feet away from the closest WAP at the airport where im working. its actually gone now (the shared folder) i didnt even delete it. is there a way to disable shared media? sorry im a n00b but thanks for all the help.

On my home network, the folders marked as shared on networked computers appear on my N800 file manager. I access videos, music and pictures as though they are on my local sd cards.I don't need the media streaming application any more.

Correction: I am able to access files that are being served by ORB or by my FreeNAS server when upnp is enabled. Clearly, shared media on the File Manager is only showing upnp files being served on the network.

Last edited by DallasNative; 2008-01-16 at 20:59.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
I've been trying to access the shared files on my home network but I don't know how. Can you explain how it's done?

To access shared files, try using a upnp server (like Orb) on your networked computers. You can specify which files or folders to include via upnp so that should do it for you. Apparently, the shared files cannot be accessed directly from the Nokia.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
If you are in the same LAN with other computers; you will see the shared folders of those! I use it to transfer files to/from the N800. The 8G SDHC is not supported by XP. The PC can not read the SD over 2G!
I have installed the patch but seems it did not help!

But there is a catch here: it only picks up when first booting up.

I still don't know how I can refresh the shared folders if I switch the
LAN. (You can close the File Mgr and then open it back to see the updates!)

How to force it to search shared folders on the LAN. Anyone knows?

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by DallasNative View Post
To access shared files, try using a upnp server (like Orb) on your networked computers. You can specify which files or folders to include via upnp so that should do it for you. Apparently, the shared files cannot be accessed directly from the Nokia.
You don't even need Orb. Just put your files in "Shared Documents" directory of your M$S machine! Your N8x0 will see them!