Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
well if both chargers and the N900 charges the battery to the same voltage then the battery will not last longer with one or the other.
However, that is never the case with a heavily discharged battery. If you overload the USB port, the voltage will drop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by shardul View Post
I think your n900 is hungry.
Nah... it's just not used being connected to inferior computers... :P

Last edited by zifis; 2011-05-13 at 13:27. Reason: insert quote

Voltage is regulated by the bq24150 chip. In both cases, it will not supply the target 4.2V to the battery at the start of charge from near-empty, because that would need more current than wall charger and usb combined could provide ;-)

At the end of charge, both methods will reach the same battery voltage.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Voltage is regulated by the bq24150 chip. In both cases, it will not supply the target 4.2V to the battery at the start of charge from near-empty, because that would need more current than wall charger and usb combined could provide ;-)

At the end of charge, both methods will reach the same battery voltage.
Just to clear up your statement, the chip in your PC is rated at 4.75v to 5.25v at 500ma. Your N900 takes that voltage and regulates it down to the 4.20 volts to charge the battery.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Last edited by Den in USA; 2011-05-13 at 13:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Make sure the display is off while charging to prevent large discharging while charging over USB.

Turning off the display will use less power and a 'fuller' effect of charging over USB will be seen.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I charge my N900 via the wallcharger every night, whether it needs it or not, to guarantee a full charge next morning. It's connected for 8 hours or so. Never noticed any battery issues and I've been doing that for 16 months.

Question: I also have a brodit active car mount, and a USB type wall charger with microUSB adaptor. I use both of these infrequently to top up as and when needed, the car charger more so. Is this likely to affect the battery life in any way?

Generally, Li-Ion loves to be charged often. So yeah, put it on charger whenever driving

Do you have smart reflex turned on ?, it takes much longer to charge when SR is enabled.