Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-05-14 at 17:55.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
@subzero &#*!@&*#&!*?
@everyone else what does ROS or BOS stand fo
@marxiam link to that page please (if it isn't a fake)

Last edited by LTman; 2011-05-14 at 19:05.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
it is questionable cause some people her seens to not know what Meego really is.
I'm sure there are many here who do.

I mean it is ok to brand Meego it could have closed components?
This is standard industry practice. We see this with Android. I see no reason this wouldn't continue.

what libs is not compliant? where does Nokia break compliaance? I know only one and thats packagemanager. But seems there is alot of experts in this forum who says it breaks more but none of them have actuallhy showed me any proof.
I'm not a software developer and I don't work for Nokia but I know one thing there will be components that are non-compliant. You know why? That's the way software works. I've seen enough software development to know that it is nearly impossible to not break compliance, especially because MeeGo is a moving target.

What does that mean? Between MeeGo Harmattan and MeeGo proper there will be changes required to get everything to work right. Will be minimal? I don't know I hope so. Is it a big deal? It's life in the software world. Show me an OS that has perfect forward and backward compatibility and I'll show you an OS that takes 3 to 4 years to release and still will not be 100% perfect.

Personally I dont know if apps installed on XX device must be allowed to work on Meego core to be Meego compliant I doubt so cause different devices has different HW.
I think people should expect that the first release or two of MeeGo won't be perfect. It'll get better, just might be a tricky first few months. Manage expectations and people won't mind the hassle. Promise / claim something that is impossible and people will whine / complain the whole time.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
plz watch this !!!http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.jo

"How to rotate the screen orientation? - Today 03:47 #1
Napolean_Huang
I am newer to develop qt program on MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan in Nokia N950 (Version:1.2011.15-5_PR_RM680). I found I can't display my hello world sample as portrait orientation, the screen always displays landscape orientation.

Here is the code:
QmlApplicationViewer viewer;
viewer.setOrientation(QmlApplicationViewer::Screen OrientationLockPortrait);
viewer.setMainQmlFile(QLatin1String("qml/dzhqt/main.qml"));
viewer.showExpanded();

Does anyone know the reason? I really appreciate who can explain this issue.
Thanks!"

from forum.nokia.com

The Following User Says Thank You to fatcobrah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
@fatcobrah, okay what new information does your post have to bring to the discussion? jw.

it is napoean's first post if you pay attention fo he might be winding us up like subzero

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
i think this post is hidden or have been deleted .

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Next month!? Since when was this announced? As far as I know they planerd to show some protoype device and howto install MeegoDE on already existing LG phones. I have never heard of any full announcement of a new Meego handset.

But I maybe wrong officiall link would be nice :-)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/16/l...-meego-phones/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/LG-to...h-197505.shtml

and

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/04/29...ne-next-month/

Like I said before as soon as Nokia said they are dropping it the other manufacturers got interested because they weren't interested in making devices for something Nokia has too much control over.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i desperately want the n950 to be a success, and i am trying not to prejudge the launch....................................... but why the hell isn't the n950 running straight meego?
Can you tell me the difference between Meego and Harmattan?

I guess not.

Only rumors rumors rumors.

Ofcourse Quim cant tell everything about Harmattan and N9x. What other company tells what they will release in the future?!?

And btw. what is "straight Meego"!?

There is no fully working "straight Meego" for Handset atm. Cause if that was the case N900DE should already be fully working.

Again the libmeegotouch in Meego for handset is DEPRECATED! The one used in Harmattan is based on QTComponents. And Nokia engineers has said it will soon be released open source!

But people will still say "its not Meego"

Read the mailinglists why stuff is as it is instead of sitting her spread ********.

(Not directed to only you I mean many people in this thread!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-05-15 at 14:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
@bandora, Harmattan is a natural forward development from Fremantle/Maemo5. There are plenty of differences between Harmatten and MeeGo Core/Handset. Why do you need "proof" of something far more enlightened people are telling you, and what does it actually matter to you.

* MeeGo uses ofono for phone functions, Harmattan and Fremantle use telepathy-ring.
* MeeGo uses evolution for contact database, Harmattan uses tracker.
* MeeGo uses MeeGo Touch Framework for MeeGo 1.2, Harmattan may still be using the ancestor of called DUI.
* MeeGo uses "meego ux components" for qml based apps, Harmattan uses "Qt Components".
* MeeGo uses sysvinit for startup, Harmattan and Fremantle use upstart.

Now, I could continue this list. The differences go into the 10s or 20s. But I can't be bothered to spend time on doing research you can do youself ... If you want to know more, look at maemo and meego system diagrams and you can see.

Despite what Nokia are saying Harmatten is Maemo 6, the similarities with MeeGo are basically only QML, DUI/MTF and the fact they're both GNU/Linux. They're hoping that with this being the main development API and similar enough to be compatible with MeeGo they can get a tentative MeeGo label. But like every one that knows has been saying, it's not MeeGo, it's not got a MeeGo Core base and it doesn't have a MeeGo handset layer.

Hope I've answered some of your questions.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland