Notices

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
Hello guys! First I want to say that the Nokia N900 is a great phone, the best one I had I will stick with it for a long time now, it has something special that no other phone has.
Unfortunately, I have a little problem.
Yesterday I was at a party, taking some photos, and a guy asked me to send him the photos via e-mail. I typed his address in notes, and usually, the notes are saved automatically. Today I connected the phone using mass storage to copy the photos, and while my phone was connected, i opened the notes application to see the e-mail address, but I couldn't access the memory because of it being connected using mass storage. When I disconnected the phone, I was surprised to see that the note was gone . I know I didn't save it, but I'm sure that the specific note is there somewhere, maybe in a temp folder. Can somebody please tell me how can I find that E-mail address? I made that man a promise, that he'll have the photos by today, but I don't know him personally, so I'm not sure when I'll se him again, and I really want to keep my word.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
When the phone is connected to a computer using "Mass Storage" mode, that means you intend to view the contents of your "MyDocs" (and all sub-folders in it) straight from your PC...and not in the phone's Notes application while it's connected to the PC. Can you try connecting the phone to the PC again? Then try to navigate to where it's located (use your computer's Windows Explorer).

Alternatively, if you want to search straight from the phone itself you may want to install "FileBox". Set its options to enable "Show Hidden Files" to be sure. Likewise there's an application called "Search" that you may want to install. But try looking for the file like what I mentioned above first.

Thanks for the advice Topet. I've connected the phone to the PC, but I couldn't find anything. Currently I am using a data recovery software and searching for lost files, maybe I'll find the note this way. I tried with "Search" and "FileBox" already, but no charm.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by mirciox View Post
Thanks for the advice Topet. I've connected the phone to the PC, but I couldn't find anything. Currently I am using a data recovery software and searching for lost files, maybe I'll find the note this way. I tried with "Search" and "FileBox" already, but no charm.
No problem. You may want to try enabling the option to "view hidden files" when you search either from your PC or from FileBox. Hopefully that note hasn't been deleted.

I am sure it has been deleted, and it's totally gone, can't find it nowhere. No luck with the file recovery software...

Check if there's anything in /home/user/.osso/osso-notes

Start x-terminal, type: cd .osso/osso-notes
to list contents: ls -lh
to view a file: cat filename
or if you've got "less" installed: less filename

You're probably looking for something with "autosave" in the name.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Check if there's anything in /home/user/.osso/osso-notes

Start x-terminal, type: cd .osso/osso-notes
to list contents: ls -lh
to view a file: cat filename
or if you've got "less" installed: less filename

You're probably looking for something with "autosave" in the name.
I looked in there, the only files there are .g_keyfile and .permanent_state.
I opened them both, but they are configuration files. Still, thanks for the tip.

okay, i'm not sure if this works

connect your phone again to the pc, and after MyDocs unmounted, try opening Notes, or navigate manually to where you save the note earlier (ie. MyDocs/.documents). or you haven't actually save it? still, try look to that directory from your phone (not from the pc)

in most linux, you can mount a device to an existing directory. even a non empty directory. and when you mounted it, the content of the previous directory will be "deleted" and replaced by the content of the device. and if you unmounted it, you can see the content of the previous directory again
chances are when you connect your phone to the pc, it wrote to the "real" MyDocs directory, not "mounted" MyDocs directory

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I just tested the notes app and didn't save my text. Then I found it autosaved in the documents folder. Try lookin there if there is a file with the email address you wrote as its name or something like that.

It's not there. At least I've learned a lesson from now on: "always save your notes".
I think that the note deleted because of opening the notes App while it was connected to the PC in mass storage mode. Thanks for your help guys !