Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
hello,

can Ovi maps on N900 be configured to not require an internet connection? and preloaded with map data, so i can use3 it abroad without having to roam?

thanks Ben

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
hello,

can Ovi maps on N900 be configured to not require an internet connection? and preloaded with map data, so i can use3 it abroad without having to roam?

thanks Ben
Yes. You can download the maps on your PC and copy them into the relevant folder to use offline (or with GPS only). I think you can use the OVI/PC suite, but there is more info on how to do it here:

http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html

The Following User Says Thank You to zaksloan For This Useful Post:
I use ovi maps offline but you have to wait a few minutes to get a fix and always ignore the asking for connections, i use gps jinni first to lock to the satellite then i open maps (or sygic).
in ovi maps you can't search for a specific location or get a route cause it uses online searching for that (i didn't see zaksloan's link yet), but sygic has all the roads and towns.

The Following User Says Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
I use ovi maps offline but you have to wait a few minutes to get a fix and always ignore the asking for connections, i use gps jinni first to lock to the satellite then i open maps (or sygic).
in ovi maps you can't search for a specific location or get a route cause it uses online searching for that (i didn't see zaksloan's link yet), but sygic has all the roads and towns.
once i have a gps fix, does going to my current position on the map also require online searching? extra maps for sygic are paid right?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Yes you can make a route without being online, but you must choose your start location and destination by clicking on the map, i.e. you can't input an address as text because geolocation needs an internet connection.
As long as you select your places graphically, you don't need the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
once i have a gps fix, does going to my current position on the map also require online searching? extra maps for sygic are paid right?
no, you can see current position offline too. and i don't know if sygic maps are paid for..*cough* google for its free maps, i know i did *cough*
and as debernardis said text searching is online but if you drag the map and wanted to go to a destintion you can do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html is dead, use this one instead: http://nokiamaps.site666.info

(Use the older maps for 3.0 that the site says work with 3.04 - it is the smaller link, so read the page carefully.)