Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
yes, my point, exactly...
INSIDE development environment, thus, no certification required.
No need to FCC certification if it remains in hold of NOKIA devs. If the do a release for 3rd party devs, it would require certification.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
is there one person reading this thread who doesn't want the keyboard?

I suggest go try a real life E7 before answering.

clarification: wants no keyboard, not doesn't care about the keyboard
in the "don't care" category.

if its a high-specc'ed meego device i'm getting one regardless of whether it has a keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
I have been following this thread since first post, and I am still not convinced there will be a keyboard-less N9 this year for consumers.

To finalize the video rumors, only one animation-shot looks to be shopped, meaning the one with different back cover and back layout. It seems to be floating around in zero gravity, most likely a 3D model. Shown on this and this pic. The 3d model is very likely made in another state of development/production, meaning it can vary by looks from the final release. That could explain the differences. In the other pics, the phone was either held by a hand or on some sort of stand for filming/photographing purposes. (out of camera reach obviously) If the other shots were also shopped, it must have been on a pixelated level with very high detail, wich seems too obscure to be true for me. Especially in some shots.

They will release one single Meego device this year. I'm still convinced this is one with a keyboard. Why? Firstly this is a successor of the N900, and the previous models, all wich have HW keyboard. Second, they release it almoast 2 years after the N900, and probably targeted it to be a viable replacement for the N900, since the Maemo5 powered device caught a decent audience and their owners look for such a replacement.

Think about the fact that the N900 is also a development device for QT and such, also the previous models. They had developer devices ready some time before the N900 was released for consumers, mainly for software reasons (maemo5 not stable enaugh for consumers, developers could prepare software for when it was released to the public) and the device was still the same hardware-wise when it was released. Harmattan/Meego isn't finalized either for consumers whilse the hardware is, hmm deja vu?

Also, we have seen proof and hints from officials about the one with qwerty. FCC, the video, officials saying to watch out for 'Jesse's girl' where nothing was shown about one sans qwerty and probably forgetting some other sources. This model is obviously the first in the pipeline, and thus the first to be released IMHO. And all the fanfare like the teaser-video and such make no sense for a device that is developers-only. Sound more likely for it to be for developers as well as consumers later on. Since they are probably not making tonnes of these (geez I hope I'm wrong) why waste some more millions on designing and manufacturing a (completely) different type of phone HW-wise wich also won't make it to millions of users.

For a "future disruption", this device is probably not meant to sell to the large masses so why make a touch-only one? We have seen no liable evidence that the keyboardless N9 is real. Maybe in 2012, but I don't recall to have heard plans for the release of another model after this one. If I might take an educated guess the people interested in this MeeGo phone would like a qwerty variant some more than one without. I only see this happen if this Meego phone opens doors for larger scale releases. Referring to N8 and E7, wich are somewhat comparable, but also more widely sold and marketed. Someone claimed to have a N9 without keyboard some pages ago.. I have it too, but could only fiddle with it in my dreams, so sorry no proof for you guys!

Again I could be wrong but then it woulden't make much sense..

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
in the "don't care" category.

if its a high-specc'ed meego device i'm getting one regardless of whether it has a keyboard.
Yes

You can always use bluetooth keyboard. I have a small one i carry in shirt pocket hehe

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koajwujwer123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
I think the QWERTY didn't sold less because people doesn't want keyboards. The price difference is that wasn't effective, and the headstart that the N8 had over E7 wasn't really fair

Release a killer phone, with just the keyboard option and it will sell well, I think.

We have this confirmed, that there will be keyboardless consumer device? If so, I wonder how I could get a dev device :/
We already saw this with the first Motorola Droid/Milestone... sold like hell...

Originally Posted by Koajwujwer123 View Post
Well average users disagree. This is a COMMERCIAL device. There need to be sales.

eg : How many Android devices are there with a qwerty ? HTC Desire Z and one model by Samsung , i think ? Normal users don't really care about the hardware keyboard.
This is not going to be a commercial device with or without the keyboard. It's going to have just as much or less commercial backing as the n900.

Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Bollocks.. i want a qwerty keyboard on any new device.. the one i saw had one, and that'll do me.. if i wanted a phone with a great screen and was prepared to suffer with Android, i would have already gone for the Xperia Arc.. which hardware-wise, is probably the most advanced phone on the market at the moment.

An N9 without qwerty is pointless.. imho
Lolwut?!..

Originally Posted by law138 View Post
This is not going to be a commercial device with or without the keyboard. It's going to have just as much or less commercial backing as the n900.
We'll see...

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Despite it seems a move backwards, I want to come back to discuss the differences in the devices in the video.

The 3D rendering, the one with the with cover, is obvioulsy a QWERTY device. But the one shown in hand, looks like it is the N9 proto leaked ages ago. It have a black over just like the old proto, and a slit that seems to be the separation for the screen slider.

I don't doubt there will be a keyboard-less device. But the video itself doesn't add evidence to it - the video shown 2 QWERTY devices.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
ok so far 1 vote (the dont care's dont count).
Nokia has already stated if i remember correctly that this device will be for the connected enthusiast. I think that's what we represent (generally) in tmo.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:57.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland