Originally Posted by shady View Post
who the eff cares about slim? this isnt a beauty contest, give me linux in my hand in hardware that can last till the next one, and be gone.

we know nothing, and ppl here are circling the drain, just wait!
Just stating what i know mate. And , Nokia as a company has same motive as every other company - make profit. You cannot expect Nokia to bring out a phone which is incompetitive in aesthetics. People first look at phones , then see how fluid it is then if ever care about specs.

I am not talking about people like us who visit forums and discuss phones. You should understand you are niche. Dev phone for you. I'm pretty sure it will be available via discounted device program and you can get it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koajwujwer123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Well the bulk of the thread has spent discussing the screen resolution of the N9.. the screen on the Xperia Arc is very impressive and displays at 720p, has as much ram as the N9 probably will and has a 1Gz processor.. what are you disagreeing with here?

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...a_arc-3619.php
I'm disagreeing with "the most advanced phone on the market" part. There are better phones out there already than Arc (SGS2, Atrix, Sensation and Optimus 2X just to name a few.)

Originally Posted by shady View Post
who the eff cares about slim? this isnt a beauty contest, give me linux in my hand in hardware that can last till the next one, and be gone.

we know nothing, and ppl here are circling the drain, just wait!
do not try to understand, just explain...
if you can't, goodness gracious, LET IT BE!
we don't know, but based on what NOKIA has done in the past 18 months, it is possible to make educated guesses, maybe?

with that approach, the device will have to last for ever, 'cuz the RM-680 HAS TO BE a commercial hit, thus
«[...] it is beautiful and elegant and the hardware is interesting and the software is powerful [...]»
cf. Rich Green
whether you want it DESPITE it being beautiful and elegant and interesting hardware and powerful software is your problem alone

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
I have been following this thread since first post, and I am still not convinced there will be a keyboard-less N9 this year for consumers.

To finalize the video rumors, only one animation-shot looks to be shopped, meaning the one with different back cover and back layout. It seems to be floating around in zero gravity, most likely a 3D model. Shown on this and this pic. The 3d model is very likely made in another state of development/production, meaning it can vary by looks from the final release. That could explain the differences. In the other pics, the phone was either held by a hand or on some sort of stand for filming/photographing purposes. (out of camera reach obviously) If the other shots were also shopped, it must have been on a pixelated level with very high detail, wich seems too obscure to be true for me. Especially in some shots.

They will release one single Meego device this year. I'm still convinced this is one with a keyboard. Why? Firstly this is a successor of the N900, and the previous models, all wich have HW keyboard. Second, they release it almoast 2 years after the N900, and probably targeted it to be a viable replacement for the N900, since the Maemo5 powered device caught a decent audience and their owners look for such a replacement.

Think about the fact that the N900 is also a development device for QT and such, also the previous models. They had developer devices ready some time before the N900 was released for consumers, mainly for software reasons (maemo5 not stable enaugh for consumers, developers could prepare software for when it was released to the public) and the device was still the same hardware-wise when it was released. Harmattan/Meego isn't finalized either for consumers whilse the hardware is, hmm deja vu?

Also, we have seen proof and hints from officials about the one with qwerty. FCC, the video, officials saying to watch out for 'Jesse's girl' where nothing was shown about one sans qwerty and probably forgetting some other sources. This model is obviously the first in the pipeline, and thus the first to be released IMHO. And all the fanfare like the teaser-video and such make no sense for a device that is developers-only. Sound more likely for it to be for developers as well as consumers later on. Since they are probably not making tonnes of these (geez I hope I'm wrong) why waste some more millions on designing and manufacturing a (completely) different type of phone HW-wise wich also won't make it to millions of users.

For a "future disruption", this device is probably not meant to sell to the large masses so why make a touch-only one? We have seen no liable evidence that the keyboardless N9 is real. Maybe in 2012, but I don't recall to have heard plans for the release of another model after this one. If I might take an educated guess the people interested in this MeeGo phone would like a qwerty variant some more than one without. I only see this happen if this Meego phone opens doors for larger scale releases. Referring to N8 and E7, wich are somewhat comparable, but also more widely sold and marketed. Someone claimed to have a N9 without keyboard some pages ago.. I have it too, but could only fiddle with it in my dreams, so sorry no proof for you guys!

Again I could be wrong but then it woulden't make much sense..
I agree. At last, I read a sensible post!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
except Koajwujwer123 he actually owns a prototype i am green with envy
@Koajwujwer123 please tell us everything that you can without breaking the NDA that you have obviously signed even if it is only what seems like useless information and i ask you as power user coming from an n900 that's time with a terminal = uptime how is the phone and are you using kdb less or kbd prototype please answer my questions even if the answer is i cant tell you

Isnt this the same back as the keyboard version of the n9 ?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
This is my opinion on the whole keyboard debate. The N900 and it's keyboard is why I chose that phone amongst totally loving Maemo having a N810 prior. I love having a h/w keyboard and couldn't see myself using a touchscreen. Just really loathed the idea.

My brother got a Galaxy S, and I heard about swype but didn't think too much of it. I saw my brother a few weeks later swype out a lengthy text in a few moments, and I was like whaa. I started messing around with it, and I got a droid phone from work not too long ago, the motorola cliq 2 with a hw keyboard, it also has swype as well. You know what for writing emails, I've been using swype more and more to do so than the hw keyboard. The only time I find myself really using the hw keyboard is by habit or when driving (I know I shouldn't).

If the consumer N9 comes out sans keyboard, with a really slick UI, blows things out of the water spec wise, and HAS swype (as it is available for symbian) I totally will not mind.

Would I rather have a hw keyboard, of course. Will I not buy it if it doesn't as long at some point it gets swype, absolutely not. Swype will be key factor as the days of pecking and typing are not an option for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
I'm disagreeing with "the most advanced phone on the market" part. There are better phones out there already than Arc (SGS2, Atrix, Sensation and Optimus 2X just to name a few.)
Yeah the Samsung seems to have impressive specs.. i hadn't read about it before.. but my point still remains.. i like a phone with a qwerty keyboard.. when i'm at home i'm constantly in touch with friends via im and sms.. my friend has a htc desire.. i've used it.. it's quick and snappy.. but i hate the layout of android.. it's way less functional than Maemo.. even if some aspects of it are designed a bit better..

We all know Maemo can be a bit rough around the edges but in better hardware i think it could be a lot better.

I'm sure i'd get used to virtual keyboards.. but if i have a choice in the matter, i will always go qwerty..

The only thing i could really complain about with the N900 was the design of the slide out.. when typing out an email or anything that required effort.. it tended to feel a bit awkward..

The design of the E7 corrected this..

It only seems natural for the N9 to follow the same path?

The Following User Says Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Ok guys, enough. We all think that Nokia will eventually screw us over again and they surely will, just like with the n900. I have to be honest, it's a great device, the greatest to be exact and i'm so happy with it but still, it always was a half product and i was cool with that when i bought it though i never experienced linux before. And maybe because i paid 450€ for a half product i'm expecting something in return from Nokia and that's the n900 sucessor and just to be clear here, a n900 sucessor has to have HW keyboard, if it doesn't then it's clearly not. So now i'm pretty certain we'll get ****ed over and the're will be no HWkb device (except maybe few dev devices on ebay) but still.. Think of it this way, it's to be or not to be with the whole maemo/meego team i think. So they'll produce HWkb less, fast and superduperthin device, sell it like crazy and if that's the case, they'll continue with the project meego and we'll get our shiny device with hardware keyboard someday.. Dream on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
except Koajwujwer123 he actually owns a prototype i am green with envy
@Koajwujwer123 please tell us everything that you can without breaking the NDA that you have obviously signed even if it is only what seems like useless information and i ask you as power user coming from an n900 that's time with a terminal = uptime how is the phone and are you using kdb less or kbd prototype please answer my questions even if the answer is i cant tell you
I honestly cannot say much. Have shared as much knowledge as i could. AFAIK another 2-3 months and you will have it in your hands (talking about release not announcement) ... but things CAN change with Nokia so don't kill me ok !

Its nice and smooth , fast , very nice looking. Battery lasts a day of decent usage. You'll like it. I miss the keyboard only because i could play emulators easily on N900. But i have BT keyboard so it should be ok in the future.

I cannot give specific info. Very few have access to this so anything can get traced back and as i said earlier. Job > Forum

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koajwujwer123 For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland