Active Topics

Guys after observing video closely
i think the phone has an amazing video chatting app with which people can communicate with more than 3 people at the same time with text chatting as well built in (hint see screen where people are chatting with 2 textboxes ticked out of 3)
also web browser if i identified it right looks a lot more powerful than any Symbian or memo browsers currently in market .
also i think headphone jack is on top of phone (hint see video at end as well as early released 2010 leaked pics) also hdmi port is i think on its side :-) which is also viewable from video

Heed the warning of TurboDragon
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1796

Last edited by LTman; 2011-05-24 at 07:04.

Okay for those of us unfortunate enough not be able watch the stream could somebody who watched it /is watching it be kind enough to round up the useful stuff

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Am I the only one who finds the blind hatred of Nokia's new strategy on this forum to be completely ridiculous? Seriously, I feel like I'm reading a bunch of forum posts written by twelve year-olds who had their favourite Action Man taken away by their mum.
Well you have to understand that this is a open source community, and Nokia's new strategy meant jumping from the most open source mobile OS (MeeGo, 100% open source) to (one of) the least open source friendly mobile OS (WP7, 0% open source afaik). So from the point of view of this open source community and others, it is just a giant slap in the face. Hence the outrage.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
you dont seem to undetrstand

a better example is muslims forced to eat pork - most here would rather go without a phone then use microsoft

Am I the only one who finds the blind hatred of Nokia's new strategy on this forum to be completely ridiculous? Seriously, I feel like I'm reading a bunch of forum posts written by twelve year-olds who had their favourite Action Man taken away by their mum.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Germany
would be cool, if some kind of haptic touchscreen ist implemented in the new N9.

i mean, k123 said that even if there is no kb it is still great and not realy a need for it.
maybe because of this.

http://www.betabuzz.de/mobiltelefone...uhlbar-machen/

Last edited by ro25anav; 2011-05-24 at 07:32.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Well you have to understand that this is a open source community, and Nokia's new strategy meant jumping from the most open source mobile OS (MeeGo, 100% open source) to (one of) the least open source friendly mobile OS (WP7, 0% open source afaik). So from the point of view of this open source community and others, it is just a giant slap in the face. Hence the outrage.
Understandable, however for argument's sake, let's say that had Nokia continued with their original plan, they would fail. Surely it is better to have a Nokia who offers marginal MeeGo support rather than no Nokia at all? Regardless of whether you think this would have happened, if you assume it as inevitable then the choice made by Nokia's board (read: more people than just Elop) was the correct one.

To be honest, I have no issue with voicing one's opinion about such things. For many people this stuff is very dear to them, and I get it. But assuming Nokia employees even browse this board anymore, do you think all the petulant name-calling and death-wishing is sending the best impression? Use your heads, guys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
not the only one.

if nokia's board did not believe meego could mature fast enough to achieve their stated ambitions, to be one of the big-three ecosystems, then they were duty bound to seek alternatives.

that nokia have, and will continue to, invest significant resources in our open-source linux OS of choice is something we should be grateful for.

http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...-qt-and-meego/

i say this as someone who has zero interest in owning a WP7 phone, nokia product or otherwise.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2011-05-24 at 08:59. Reason: additional info

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
Heed the warning of TurboDragon
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1796
wow, thank you for posting this, i missed it.
so there we have it right? this is bittersweet. sweet because an N9 will be released, bitter because it does not have a keyboard... yay argh.

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
how many people are here in this forum? lets say 1000.
People registered? Your userid is 26829. HWKB, who said he just recently registered, is 53648. Most recently registered user is 53729 Should we include lurkers as well? How do you count people who these 53648 users influence heavily in their handset choice (friends, family etc.).

so, the people who wants a hwkb on this forum are round about 990.
At least 53191.

we, the people here, are not the mass, and nokia can not make money only with us.
You assume we are the full sample of people who would want a hardware keyboard on a Nokia-produced non-Symbian non-WPx device.

If everything Koajwujwer123 and zehjotkah said will come true, then you wont need the hwkb. And if you say that you cant write on an swkb,
It's not only about writing, it's about 1)amount of screen lost to a vkb, 2)vkb hiding what is on screen.

The only reason (imho) to prefer a hwkb instead of a (really good) swkb would be for coding, but remember, coding is beeing done by developers to develope apps.
I wouldn't code on a device, I have a laptop with an IDE for that. I use my N900 in situations where it is more convenient to use what is at hand than what is not. And one common use for hardware keyboards (since my E61, E71 etc.) is remote administration of servers (by a population quite larger than on-device developers).

Most of the users of a smartphone use it to write words,
Can I get tab bash-completion in swype? No? I'll keep my N900 for myself, and still have to decide on a phone with a keyboard for my wife (who doesn't care for touch screen, but would like a phone with a hardware keyboard for effective sms writing as she is used to on an old Nokia phone with keyboard - maybe she'll have to wait for E6 availability).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland