Notices

The filtering can be done only after the sms has been received. That daemon checkbox is to enable/disable the background version of the app. When the /opt/AutoRemoveSms/AutoRemoveSmsBackground is executed, either by terminal or alarmed, if the checkbox is disabled no sms will be deleted, else it keeps processing the conversation database showing banners to notify its work.

The Following User Says Thank You to gionni88 For This Useful Post:
gionni88: works wonders.

i set the app to remove all sms older than a month and activated the daemon. in alarmed i set a command to run everyweek at saturday.

gave it a test and all sms's older than a month were gone. i got a notification of the process when it executed.

your app is great, thank you. no more lengthy sms history.

and also, its impossible not to love the n900. :-)

Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
gionni88: works wonders.

i set the app to remove all sms older than a month and activated the daemon. in alarmed i set a command to run everyweek at saturday.

gave it a test and all sms's older than a month were gone. i got a notification of the process when it executed.

your app is great, thank you. no more lengthy sms history.

and also, its impossible not to love the n900. :-)
Hi, I'm a beginner here. Can you walk me through the settings I need to apply to get this to run every day (my autremovesms is set up to delete anything older than 6 months). Thanks in advance.

Sure, i will try to explain step by step what i did. Well, assuming i remember all of it correctly. ;-)

1. Install Alarmed using the App Manager;
2. install AutoRemoveSMS;
3. Open AutoRemoveSMS and choose your settings (remove by date, etc), and check the item that says "Activate Background";
4. Open Alarmed and create a new event;
5. On the options that open after you press the "New Event" button, choose "Command execution", choose the frequency that you want this event to run, and on the last textinput (the first input is for the event name) type this "/opt/AutoRemoveSMS/AutoRemoveSmsBackground" without the quotes

This should do it. If you have any trouble with any of those stpes (or if i screwed up on any of them), just let me know and i will try to help out, ok?

The Following User Says Thank You to manifesto42 For This Useful Post:
Exactly. Just an info: while changing the options in the app launched from menu will directly affect the purge on delete button clicks, it won't be the same for the background version: app needs to be closed to store the changes for the background deletion.

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Hi all,
I have autoremovesms 0.4.1 installed from extras-testing. when i press "delete" the program closes without any further message and no sms gets deleted.

Originally Posted by raily View Post
Hi all,
I have autoremovesms 0.4.1 installed from extras-testing. when i press "delete" the program closes without any further message and no sms gets deleted.
I need you to start the app from xterminal to get the error messages. Ctrl+shift+X and than (without becoming root) /opt/AutoRemoveSms/autoremovesms

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
This happened after I started the application, clicked on the "1 Year ago" button, changed it to 6 month, hit "Delete"

Code:
 $ /opt/AutoRemoveSms/autoremovesms
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
sync eventloop exit 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Starting to initialize 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Connecting to Modest DBus Interface 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Connected to Modest DBus Interface 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Connecting to Qt Mobility Modest Plugin DBus Interface 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Connected to Qt Mobility Modest Plugin DBus Interface 
ModestEngine::ModestEngine Initialized successfully 
Segmentation fault