Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Your device MUST be MeeGo compliant to be allowed to be branded as such and as Harmattan CLEARLY is not they have recieved a negative answer on their request.
The MeeGo TSG made their decision? I missed that. Where was it announced?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The MeeGo TSG made their decision? I missed that. Where was it announced?
As the rumour says that the matter is not resolved make your own conclusions.

It was apparent that Nokia had wanted the device to be certified as MeeGo compliant in time for the conference but that discussions on this topic had not been resolved.
IMHO this means a negative answer, as it should be.

Edit: And the TSG should make this clear for everybody. IE Asus just announced a MeeGo branded netbook and I hope that it is MeeGo compliant and so forth.

Edit2: And it's REALLY irritating that Nokia are asking the TSG to make an exception for Harmattan. They should dump Maemo and move over to MeeGo asap instead of spending time whining.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-05-31 at 13:13.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
I believe Nokia is doing some polishing to make the build compatible enough to be called MeeGo.

That could be the reason why they are holding it so long, and missed the timeframe of the conference.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
As the rumour says that the matter is not resolved make your own conclusions.

IMHO this means a negative answer, as it should be.
Ah, you're taking the lack of decision by the TSG as "no". That's different from:

...they have recieved a negative answer on their request.
EDIT:

Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
I believe Nokia is doing some polishing to make the build compatible enough to be called MeeGo.

That could be the reason why they are holding it so long, and missed the timeframe of the conference.
Nokia employees have directly stated they were ready to, and wanted to, distribute Harmattan devices at the San Francisco conference. They were only stopped by the lack of an answer from the TSG as to whether or not Harmattan would be accepted as "MeeGo".

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-05-31 at 13:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Harmattan is based on Maemo and should not be called MeeGo whatsoever.
I have read on various occasions than Harmattan is much closer to MeeGo than to Fremantle...
Also, the owner of a brand actualy decides (rather than undergoes) what "MUST" be done to be allowed to use it.
Nothing prevents the Linux Fondation to change the actual requirements for MeeGo branding. Which is what was advised in the opinions above.. (of course, under the current requirements bla bla not possible bla bla ... )

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Ah, you're taking the lack of decision by the TSG as "no".
Yes I do. And who says that the TSG haven't given Nokia an answer? Maybe someone should ask the TSG what is going on? What is there to discuss? It's been clear for years that Harmattan is based on Maemo so why would this simple matter not have been resolved a long time ago? Why are qgil still whining about it? It seems to be Nokia that think that the matter is not resolved yet but the TSG might have already given them a straight NO a long time ago? And Nokia just keep on whining about it.

It seems that discussions over the device's compliance are delaying the launch that would bring answers to many questions surrounding the device.
Again what is there to discuss? I don't get it. Harmattan is not MeeGo compliant so it must be a very easy call to make.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-05-31 at 13:53.

MIGHT be getting some info in the next couple of days as a mate of mine works for carphonewarehouse and has a Nokia rep coming in he has already said he is going to ask the rep about the N9/N950 IF i hear anything or he gets any information then i will gladly pass it on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddwwf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
show me one example of whining on behalf of Quim or Nokia and a source to "might have already given them a straight NO"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
show me one example of whining on behalf of Quim or Nokia and a source to "might have already given them a straight NO"
It's all over the place. Why don't you ask the TSG instead of what's going on?

Although the formal presentation proposal was not selected, Quim Gil of Nokia still graciously confirmed the device and discussed it and related issues with a handful of maemo.org community members. It was apparent that Nokia had wanted the device to be certified as MeeGo compliant in time for the conference but that discussions on this topic had not been resolved.It became increasingly obvious during the conference that no other MeeGo cellphone was ready to be launched and Quim persuasively argued that certifying the Harmattan device as MeeGo compliant would be largely beneficial to the MeeGo project.
Also read the Nokia community thread on meego.com. lots of info about Harmattan in that one.

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-05-31 at 13:39.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
MeeGo Compatible maybe a better goal than MeeGo Compliant. Regardless, Nokia didn't have 1200 devices for all attendees and didn't want to selectively give them out, from what I heard. The TSG decision or more precisely, Imad Sousou AKA Intel's decision doesn't really matter IMO, and in the end I see it going in Harmattans' favour.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland