Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
drew up some quick and dirty icons. Be warned, i am no artist...
Attached Images

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
I've been looking at the timeout socket implementation in python and it is done with select and recv with non blocking socket, so you could do the same, a recv function with timeout: wait with select, if select timeouts return timeout, if select shows data ready, read it with recv and check for error on reading, or not reading enough data. This shouldn't fail.
I've used the python script to read bme at many different time intervals for hours with no problem.
Ah, wasn't sure if I could use a non-blocking socket for it, I know dbus won't work if I use one and BME reboots my tablet when I do something it doesn't like.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
drew up some quick and dirty icons. Be warned, i am no artist...
And I am? I don't know if you have noticed but every one of the icons in the ASUI package are 'drawn' as XPMs in a text editor.

The bluetooth icon should probably be on the right side and use the angled B style but its 'tail' cut off. When off the icon could disappear and be white when on and blue when connected. Maybe a white/blue dot above it when visible, or something else to indicate it is visible. 4 icons.

Wifi could also disappear in flight mode, gray when not in flight mode and white when connected. 2 icons.

How does that sound? Anyone need other states?

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Wifi could also disappear in flight mode, gray when not in flight mode and white when connected. 2 icons.
Alternating gray and white while connecting, like the regular applet does, would be nice (but not essential).

http://asui.garage.maemo.org/about.html#applet

The applet will probably contain those wifi and bluetooth icons if they look okay on the tablet.

Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Alternating gray and white while connecting, like the regular applet does, would be nice (but not essential).
Okay.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess it will work as basics

I continue to think it's a bad idea to integrate the connection indicators into the icon. They really aren't related. One tiny icon with FIVE different indications is simply bad UI. The problems seen above in the proposed design -- your WiFi submission looks like a couple of parentheses, totally meaningless -- ought to be a clear indication that this is not the way to go.

Also, the discussion indicates that WiFi strength is not going to be shown in the WiFi icon, which makes it less useful than the standard WiFi icon.

Furthermore: allocating space for connection indicators means that even if I turn them off, I lose horizontal resolution on the CPU meter, making it harder to read. (I need reading glasses as it is.)

I know, your argument against is, "well, I know what they all mean." That doesn't make it right. Why not just have five spots with varying colors? After all, you'd still know what they all mean.

If "saving icon space" (a not very important goal, IMNSHO) is really at issue, combine WiFi and BlueTooth into one icon, and put the battery and CPU into another. There's still a net gain of one icon slot for bluetooth users.

I really think a multi-function icon as proposed is the wrong way to go.

Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Do you have system alert volume turned on? Its the top button on ASUI's sound button [system, keys, touch].
Yes: I have the level of all three set to 3-dots.

I thought one of the goals of ASUI was finger-friendly buttons. I don't think this three-setting button qualifies.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by mcow View Post
I continue to think it's a bad idea to integrate the connection indicators into the icon. They really aren't related. One tiny icon with FIVE different indications is simply bad UI. The problems seen above in the proposed design -- your WiFi submission looks like a couple of parentheses, totally meaningless -- ought to be a clear indication that this is not the way to go.

Also, the discussion indicates that WiFi strength is not going to be shown in the WiFi icon, which makes it less useful than the standard WiFi icon.

Furthermore: allocating space for connection indicators means that even if I turn them off, I lose horizontal resolution on the CPU meter, making it harder to read. (I need reading glasses as it is.)

I know, your argument against is, "well, I know what they all mean." That doesn't make it right. Why not just have five spots with varying colors? After all, you'd still know what they all mean.

If "saving icon space" (a not very important goal, IMNSHO) is really at issue, combine WiFi and BlueTooth into one icon, and put the battery and CPU into another. There's still a net gain of one icon slot for bluetooth users.

I really think a multi-function icon as proposed is the wrong way to go.
Well, while I agree that such a multifunction icon is bad UI, the fact that it will be completely user configurable makes your whole argument moot, so if auouymous wishes to do it, why not?

Do you know what all the connection applet icons mean? There are about 10 total. Does the connection applet have a page like this to document what all the icons mean? More intuitive icons can be designed, this is only the beginning.

Does your connection applet show strength in the icon? Mine doesn't. I know strength is shown in the menu and the ASUI applet will have a menu with wifi strength in it. It would be possible to display connection strength in the icon as well.

The cpu meter is the entire width of the icon, 40 pixels. I originally made the icon use up all 40 pixels but it looked stupid so I made it shorter so it just barely extends beyond the battery sides. I also experimented with making the drain indicator wider for red and orange and it too looked stupid, like a roof over the battery.

You lose nothing by turning off wifi and bluetooth.

I'd like to reduce the number of applets and also reduce the length of the statusbar to make it easier to see the window name/menu button in portrait mode. Others have a lot of applets and combining some make it easier to fit them all.

I thought one of the goals of ASUI was finger-friendly buttons. I don't think this three-setting button qualifies.
Most of the buttons are finger friendly and those three buttons aren't that hard to press unless you have huge fingers. They also make it quicker to access the sound levels which is another goal for ASUI.

New ASUI, settings and statusbar test release.
  • fix: bme socket should no longer block indefinitely
  • fix: the battery graph's screen-on time had bugs...
  • wifi and bluetooth status icons in battery applet

The release package will modify connection applet so you can remove it but you'll have to do it manually if you want to remove it before then.
Code:
sed -i "s:^Mandatory=true$:#Mandatory=true:g" /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-internet.desktop
@ maacruz, it didn't need a non-blocking socket, I thought select() returned -1 when it timed out and I was wrong.

Tags
bada blows, bada rox