Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Okay, so I pushed 1.1-maemo9 to extras-devel, and autobuilder built succesfully, so that should be up soon. This SHOULD update without bugs from any version, regardless of previous symlinks/manually-placed-binaries, etc. That, or it'll break everything. If the latter, there's always next time.

Anyway, the only caveat is if you put your own aircrack-ng symlinks and/or binaries into /usr/(s)bin/, it won't override them at first - however, it will delete/override whatever is at those paths after the first uninstall/update. As I get better at understanding all this fancy code, I'll implement a mechanism similar to the one iDont used for busybox-power (his postinst/prerm scripts intelligently check the symlinks for if they are symlinks/binaries, and if they are symlinking to the busybox binary or somewhere else, and only override/delete the ones that are symlinks to the busybox binary).

But that's out of my skill level for now. But the good news is, other than extremely rare corner cases, you're not going to have any issues. IF my postinst/prerm scripts work right and I didn't make any errors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Ok, so apparently the repository as a whole is slow as hell, but I was finally able to update aircrack-ng through FApMan about 15 minutes ago, so it should be available for everyone.

And the update worked perfectly on my device. (From 1.1-maemo8 to 1.1-maemo9.)

If anyone has any other problems with it still, let me know.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bulgaria
Thanks for all work which are you done

@disappear: No need to thank me (though I do appreciate it). I enjoy doing things that actually help other people, and this is something I can actually do to help.

- In related news -

Aircrack-NG 1.1-maemo9 is now in Extras-Testing. Rejoice, those who have -testing enabled, but not -devel.

Test, or if you've already tested, vote here, so that the masses with only Extras enabled may have aircrack-ng goodness too:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...ng/1.1-maemo9/
(It's not the most intuitive system - you need to log in with your maemo.org account, which is separate from your talk.maemo.org account, AND, you press the thumbs up/thumbs down icons to vote. So press the up thumb to vote for, press the down thumb to vote against.)

Here's the list of blockers which you should diligently check for before voting (I don't believe that this version violates any of them, as it has been optified, has a bugtracker link, and is otherwise awesome, but, if you genuinely believe aircrack-ng violates any of these, say so in here, so that I may look into fixing it):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing...klist#Blockers

Also, the repository is being really weird. Last I looked, -devel armel was at 1.1-maemo9, as was -testing armel, BUT -devel i386 is still stuck on 1.1-maemo8, so there's nothing in -testing i386 for aircrack-ng.

This doesn't actually effect usability on the N900, because we see/use the armel versions on our devices, and the i386 version is just there...for some odd reason. But I'm worried that this is a symptom of some greater server-side issue.

Poop, I found one blocker myself. It doesn't explicitly state it's a command-line-only application. Version 1.1-maemo10 coming up, I guess.

- Edit -

Okay, version 1.1-maemo10 has been put into the autobuilder. This should be 100% clear of any of the blockers against it being promoted to Extras from -testing (as the only thing left was the description statement that it's command-line-only).

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-02 at 00:28.

Okay, version 1.1-maemo10 has made it to -devel. Assuming the repository-side stuff doesn't glitch too much, 1.1-maemo10 should be making its way to -testing soon enough.

Anyway, once that makes its way to -testing, if no new issues are found (that aren't inherent to the upstream aircrack-ng suite as a whole), if we could get the ten votes needed to get it into extras, that'd be great. Normally I wouldn't push for enough votes immediately after getting this version down into -testing, BUT so many of us have used aircrack-ng while it's in -devel, that we know the package as a whole doesn't cause massive problems.

People have also ran 1.1 version compiles of aircrack-ng on their devices for a while aside from the in-repository version, and no major issues there.

And the changes I've made between 1.1-maemo1 and 1.1-maemo10, ultimately, have been mostly superficial changes to the debian/control file, such as changing the description/icon (don't break the package as we know), me changing the debian/rules to add the unstable and sqlite support (which people were doing to their 1.1 binaries for a while now) and to optify the binaries, and me adding scripts to add and/or remove the symlinks to the binaries.

The only thing that's relatively new is the scripts to create/remove symlinks, but if people don't notice issues with that pretty quickly, then that's not something that's likely to develop long-term bugs.

- Edit -
1.1-maemo10 is in extras-testing now too, if anyone's interested. And it looks like uploading the new version also un-stuck the i386 architecture files from the 1.1-maemo8 version, so now both armel and i386 architecture builds are in the repository in both -devel and -testing, as appropriate.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-02 at 02:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
FRAK. Just found a typo in the prerm script that causes some symlinks to be left behind.

Thanks to the checking that my postinst script does it doesn't cause errors on uninstall/reinstall/update/whatever, but it's annoying,

I'll be pushing 1.1-maemo11 into -devel (and if the repository behaves well, into -testing; if it doesn't I'm going to sleep and only promoting to testing tomorrow) now. In the meantime, I'm not sure, but I MAY have hit upon some progress with pushing iw to the repos without an aircrack-ng conflict.

- Edit -
Uploaded to -devel.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-02 at 06:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Okay, it built in -devel, still waiting to be imported into the actual repository, near as I can tell.

However, a little bit of side-note on what I THINK is a success:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/iw/

I decided to cheat, and specified ONLY armel in the architecture field of the debian/control file, because last time iw built for armel but failed to build for i386. And it looks like that worked, and iw has succesfully gotten a new version for armel in the repository. This one should come without an aircrack-ng conflict.

...meanwhile still twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next version of aircrack-ng to make its way into the repository so I can download, test, promote to -testing, and go to bed.

- Edit -

1.1-maemo11 is in -devel, I just tested it and it creates and deletes symlinks perfectly. When installing/uninstalling/updating.

Now I'm going to promote this version into testing and I'm going to bed. When I wake up ~6 hours from now, I expect you all to have returned the love by testing and voting on the 1.1-maemo11 version once it gets to -testing.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-02 at 06:54.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
So I finally got to manually check first hand, and I can confirm that the latest version of iw currently in the -devel repository is indeed one that does not conflict with aircrack-ng. I still don't like that I had to sacrifice the i386 build completely to push updates to it, but the old maintainer didn't answer my inquiries regarding how he got his sdk set up to actually work with the rules file in question... so yeah.

So anyway, next up on the list, now that iw doesn't conflict with aircrack-ng, is adding iw as a dependency of aircrack-ng (air airmon-ng depends on it for making mon0). So that will be up on the list for 1.1-maemo12. I'm still leaving 1.1-maemo11 in testing until that clears 10-day QA quarantine and gets enough votes, though, unless something needs fixing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Thanks Mentalist. Great Job.