Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by alcockell View Post
The problem is - you'll have users screaming at you - might it not be an idea to at least *offer* to work with them?
And if they refuse, they will no doubt have their lawyers draft a nice C&D letter, ready to dispatch as soon as BeBeCe hits the repos. I would rather just keep a low profile.

I was planning to have an offline favourites database, but I am ready to consider alternatives.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
*sigh*. What the hell is it with them? Is it just down to NIH-itis?

Thank you so so so much for creating this appliacation, I use cuteube daily and I cant wait to use your iplayer app.

Thanks for the very rapid response.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think the chances of the BBC authorising a third-party iPlayer application such as this are zero. There is nothing in it for them. Presenting a logical argument to these type of characters is futile.
Fair point, just wondered. You're right: some people, like beauro-suits, don't work with reason!

The plan is to initially provide playback/download of pre-recorded shows, and take it from there. PVR features will be added later.
Excellent. I think this is what we're all hoping for. The content available through iplayer is great but it's annoying the way a lot of platforms, including Maemo, are prevented from making the most of it.

The application is called BeBeCe and I do not have any plans to extend it beyond BBC content.

The question was about whether it might be physically possible and if you had any thoughts on how. It was not a request.

The problem is - you'll have users screaming at you - might it not be an idea to at least *offer* to work with them?
Am I missing something? What will people be screaming about?

Anyway, thanks marxian. You're our video hero!

looking forward to this any more of a idea on a release?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
@demolition, I was thinking about the userbase if and when the Beeb make yet another change to their client logic.

Especially if the app was also compiled for other phones out there...

But marxian, thanks for piling into this, cos it'll actually make watching longer items possible on the ol' 900 without killing the battery...

Last edited by alcockell; 2011-05-31 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcockell For This Useful Post:
@demolition, I was thinking about the userbase if and when the Beeb make yet another change to their client logic.
Oh I see. Hopefully the beeb's streams will stay the same for a while. Have a look at the streams available by selecting one of the programmes in this list. I think (but not totally sure) they're client-independent.

Slightly offtopic: Has anyone had any problems playing the mp4 files downloaded with get_iplayer? I assume they're h264? I keep getting the Unable to play media, bad codec message. Thought I had all available codecs installed? And the media player can see + get length of these files... very strange.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
I've used giplayer before on my Ubuntu box. It's just a Python wrapper for get_iplayer ; might be worth seeing if it can be co-erced into running on Maemo?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/giplayer/files/

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Any news on this love the iplayer hope this is released soon

Hi Marxian,

you are my great n900 support! I like your apps like cutetube and this soon to be released bebece

i have a request, can you make an YOUKU app? Youku is a well-known china youtube, we can find lots of asian videos, tv shows, movies and tv dramas there. Iphone already has this app in appstore!

Hope you consider it

thanks

Last edited by youmeego; 2011-06-03 at 08:14.