Active Topics

Qt community sponsorship program is contributing 10 N900 devices for this competition:

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/25/...ship-may-2011/

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
EDIT: Oh, and sorry for my long post. Sometimes there is something inside me that wants to get out...

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
i dont think there are many Maemo devs actively developing for MeeGo on here, would you agree?
After studied the submission site, there are currently targeting those platforms:
  • MeeGo ARM: 19
  • MeeGo x86: 2
  • both: 5
I hope I counted correctly. More submissions will come in the next weeks. There are still several participants at the wikipage listed without a valid submission. But still, if we say MeeGo ARM is currently only maemo and the other targets MeeGo Handset or Tablet we have a ratio: 1:2,7

So you're propably right.

But I would still say thats not that bad for a platform without a released Device for every day usage. (and in my opinion Tablets don't count - I have my Mobile every day with me)

But I don't know where are the MeeGo x86 developers from.

If we compare only the activity at this threat and the corresponding thread at MeeGo I would say we should remove the word MeeGo from the headline because no one is interested in MeeGo. But this conclusions are surely wrong. The potential developers saw it, saw the discussion over here and maemo won. The interesting stuff simply happens over here.

But the meego forum is anyway very unfrequented. Perhaps because of the (for me) very confusing mailing list. (I anyway don't like discussions that happens in different places and google dont work very well if some information is only at the mailing list)

It might be just me, but everyday that passes without a handset or hardware to target makes my interest continue to fade.
Hmm... if we look how the discussion at this thread fell asleep you're probably right.
I'm able to remember the coding competition last year and how I was unable to follow the complete discussion... at this time maemo/MeeGo had a more brighter future.

Let's hope things will change as soon as LG and Samsung will show how wrong Elop was. But in Intels position I would try to attract as much as possible potential developers.

Currently it feels like you and I are the only contributors... ...or the only ones with some problems.

Its a pain setting up for both platforms, i dont want to mess around with my machine, and theres nothing to test it on anyway - so why bother,right? I dont see that MeeGo has any interest in us either. For example the reply to our concern is not helpful. When you see how stale application development is for MeeGo you'd think they'd spend more attention on our community of Maemo/N900 developers. So many have moved on to competitors already, time will tell if they can win them back..
Yes, this situation is very sad and frustrating...

Perhaps you have to setup the SDK simply at a different machine. It works fine on my Lenovo IdeaPad. Sadly it's also my MeeGo testing machine, too. So testing and debugging is no fun because I have constantly to reboot.

I tried this week to port my ClipMan project to the MeeGo Tablet. I thought it would be the easies and most useful application of mine.
My code works fine at the simulator. But sadly not at the MeeGo Tablet. I created the UI using the normal Qt Widgets (have so far no clue how QtQuick really works) and sadly my application looks like a Windows 3.1 application at MeeGo. So perhaps I must wait until Qt gets fixed or I have to learn Java and QtQuick before.
And this damn bad and awful, android or Symbian like designed "task manager" at MeeGo tablet makes the situation even worse!
If I run my app at the terminal to see some debugging output and switch the task to copy something to the clipboard I'm only able to get back to the terminal. I see no chance to get back to the UI part of my application. (last night I was close by throwing the damn thing out of the window)
And there is no close button at my app, too. I'm only able to close a application using this strange "task manager".
Very frustrating. And very confusing. At MeeGo Handset I have a close button at each application. At MeeGo Tablet is no task switcher button and no close button at the application level despite there is even more space at the screen.
In my opinion they should create a consistent user expirience across all platforms.

I thought I could contribute by porting my small application to the MeeGo part of this competiton. Zehjotkah has somewhere in this thread said there will be special prizes only for MeeGo submissions. But I guess my skills are still to weak for this.
And I don't wan't to spent all my spare time over the next weeks only to get a additional prize. Perhaps I wasted already to much time... and I don't want to turn my hobby into work.

I subscribed now to the Intel AppUp Application Lab in Munich, Germany.
I dont have a good experience with such training sessions at work but perhaps this is this time not that bad to get myself a overview. I really hope it's worth driving about 6 hours across germany.
I'm still not sure... but perhaps I'll see. I hope I'm able to get a day-off.

Sadly this Intel AppUp Application Lab is AFTER the coding competition. Sigh!
So it will surely not help me at the competition... but hopefully for 2012.

By the way, does X-Ray have any competition in the Fun and Strange categity yet? :-)
Not yet. Have a look.
Why are you asking? Are you willing to try to port your fart app over to MeeGo?

Deep down inside me I hope myself to don't have much competition in the category. After so much criticism from the not that clever part of talk.maemo.org I'm in doubt I had a chance towards other submissions with my small learning project.

I'm currently thinking about the camera application from last year that used the focus length to measure the size of a object. It was not very stable, it worked not very well but it was very cool. And I already read at this thread some very cool Idea. Hopefully nobody gets something like that ready within the next 4 weeks!

In the end we're all here to win!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-06-04 at 09:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helihyv View Post
Qt community sponsorship program is contributing 10 N900 devices for this competition:

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/25/...ship-may-2011/

Yes, that's true!!
Have already decided how to 'split' these devices ?

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
Yes, that's true!!
Have already decided how to 'split' these devices ?
8 categories + beginners section. So we have 9 votings and 10 devices....

It's easy: 1,11111111 Devices per category!

Or perhaps we have now a reason for my suggestion I made 2 times in this thread:

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Perhaps, if we able to, we could run at the end during the voting a second vote, all applications together and only the developers are allowed to vote. They are not able to vote for their own Application. But they have enought background knowledge to see how much effort a application took or not.
This is a seperate vote, and outside the contest. There shouldn't be a normal price as in the contest. And also no sponsored flight. Only a appreciation from the other programmers that knows how hard it is to create a good application and perhaps a symbolic prize. Perhaps a strange Device, to develop new ideas and applications with. Something "like" this: Sony Ericsson LiveView
Read here for more: Link

But I still don't know if this independent voting will be technically possible.

Edit: "...or even worth the effort"

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-06-09 at 23:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
How about a special student edition contest for the remaining device, to be run till September? A student dev would probably be a much better recipient than someone who has already won one.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
As we expect the Nokia-Harmattan device to be announced in June, do you want us the extent the MeeGo Coding Competition one month? It would then end on 31 July.
During this month there is enough time to get a device (be it dev-device or consumer-device) and to port/develop your app.
Of course this would only make sense *if* the device will be announced (not necessarily hit the stores, because we have ways to get it earlier) which we fully expect.
What do you think?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
As we expect the Nokia-Harmattan device to be announced in June, do you want us the extent the MeeGo Coding Competition one month? It would then end on 31 July.
During this month there is enough time to get a device (be it dev-device or consumer-device) and to port/develop your app.
Of course this would only make sense *if* the device will be announced (not necessarily hit the stores, because we have ways to get it earlier) which we fully expect.
What do you think?
My vote goes for extending timeline.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
What do you think?
Hi zehjotkah,

When you say "get a device", is it a Nokia-Harmattan device ? Even the consumer-device would be available to developers before hitting the stores ?

How a developer could "get a device" before the end of the MeeGo Coding Competition ?

I agree to extending the deadline to July 31.

By the way, I am developing "Integral", a user friendly interface in PyQt to calculate integrals (1D, 2D, 3D, undefined, defined and numerical, with different outputs, etc) using Python & Sympy. I will list "Integral" in the MeeGo Coding Competition webpage.

Best regards,

Roberto

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
yes, I meant a Harmattan Device.
If this will be the dev-device or the consumer-device: I don't know yet.

An Harmattan Device? AFAIK things like this should be out around november (more or less), so an extending of the competition period wouldn't matter (I see no problems here).

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia