Active Topics

Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
Thanks for bringing that up!

If there is one thing Microsoft is specialized in, is vendor lock-in. One of their favorite tools for that is?... Office file formats.
True. Funny thing. Apple always gets flak for their vendor lock-in (they deserve it for iOS). But the same people accept the vendor lock-in by Microsoft, which is considered "normal". Sheeps.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
So I will ask again: how big is this new consumer device compared to N900?

Can someone please answer this?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
So I will ask again: how big is this new consumer device compared to N900?
Wait until you're able to order it!

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
You make it out like 30% covered screen is such a big deal, when all you need at the time is to see what you are writing (and sometimes what others are writing / what you are responding to).
It is a major deal. I have gone from a 800x480 screen on a N900 with hardware keyboard, to a 800x480 screen on a ZTE Blade, and the virtual keyboard IS a big deal.

In Android, there's nothing 30%ish about it, either. I'm looking at the Android web browser right now, and in portrait mode landscape mode it takes just about 50%, in landscape mode, you see nothing of the webpage except the input field, something like two thirds is virtual keyboard.

My typing speed with the keyboard that comes with cyanogenmod is around 10% of what I do on the N900 keyboard. Moreever; the bad input capabilities of the touchy feely Android-phone makes me not want to input anything, I hardly even care to look at it to see if I've got missed calls.

Android is no Maemo, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
As opposed to... what capacitive touchscreen phone was it again that never makes you touch the screen?

On good screens, you rarely see the smudges anyway, and wiping them off takes a couple of seconds.
As opposed to a real, pressure level sensitive screen where you can use accurate input devices. The resistive touch screen on the N900 was bad enough, now that I have to use a capasitive screen, it's ten times worse.

And if you don't see the smudges, that's because you forgot to clean your glasses. Smudges is, in addition to nasty looking, a layer of oil that distorts the light that goes through it, nomatter how good a screen. Who cares about that crisp resolution when the end result is a blurry mess that causes your eyes trying to refocus and refocus. Also, most of the time when I try to wipe a smudged screen, it just redistributes the finger/face oil instead of removing it from the screen.

Really. Smudges look bad and it's bad for your eyes.

Throughout all of the 90s and 00s I would scold anyone who put a finger on my computer monitor, because smudges are bad. Now people pay extra for the inability to use styluses? Someone's PR department fooled them real bad.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-10 at 15:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
All it really takes to compare screens is someone speaking about the n9 with reference to another device. Something we are all familiar with. Not asking for detailed anything, just a simple better or worse than something we know of. This is not a leak of secret information or hidden technology. Basically if I can be told that a phone has a technology I haven't even heard of.....we should definitely be able get word on how it compares to current devices. I couldn't have guessed this phone had haptikos technology, so if we can be told about that we can also be told how the sharpness adds up. That would be discussed about any phone before a tech not seen in any mobile device to date. If I wanted to keep my job ....I wouldn't speak about things like that. Don't feel like I'm inquiring about some small feature......from the day you first get your device all you will ever see will come from that screen. Essentially that's all these touch only phones are. I want to know because that's the single most important feature about about any modern day phone. Hell....look at the concept photo. The front is 95% screen. You will hardly ever use the back (not look but use). Hell yeah I wanna know about the screen.... tired of these blunt answers when we already been informed on their never seen before features. How does it look compared to Amoled tech, qhd, and retina displays. This is not a leak it anything that will get someone fired, but its the most obvious feature on the device.

Last edited by xxMurdakillxx; 2011-06-10 at 15:07.

Any leak is a leak that could get someone fired. Unless it's not a leak, but viral marketing. Which is marketing, which Nokia wouldn't do, at least not right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I also used ctrl+bckspace, ctrl+n, ctrl+s, ctrl+ left/right in browser, etc... but I'll try the device before I comment negatively.
Lets hope the VKB will have multitouch and not like the stupid VKB with no multitouch..

@Volt

In my experience wiping it with your jeans, if you wear them, cleans the screen very good. Pure thick cotton is very good voor cleaning glasses too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
But what is wrong with a little speculation.
I didn't argue against speculation. I pointed out what I see as problems with something roughly the opposite of speculation: flooding the thread with repeated demands for information, particularly non-specific, general information.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
keyboard is good. cannot explain better. for rest wait launch and self experience. do not like andro much but damn galaxy 2 is sweet

hardware on meego phone not to that level sad. but its ok , phone as smooth or maybe more too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koajwujwer123 For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland