Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
To confirm, what do you think you know about Lankku's hardware? Is there any evidence (for or against) that it has the same hardware as Dali, without a keyboard and (according to the above) a worse camera?
HW is not only SoC, RAM, screen etc. It is also the design (as in physical appearance). Dali looks like a cross between N8, E7 and MacBook. And these are all relatively old designs by now.

So maybe the physical appearance of Dali just doesn't seem cutting-edge enough now? At least it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table designwise. Maybe Lankku can do that and create more buzz for Nokia?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Everybody I showed the teaser to liked the design. What's 2011 about the appearence of the SGS2 or the Optimus2X? They are just plastic imitations of the iphone. Only the Nexus S and E7 stand out on the shelf. Also I think a company needs to try and capitalize on the fact that people haven't used a hardware keyboard. Nobody seems to want one, but I know noone who's been using one that is willing to go keyboardless. Even I was indifferent, and was using the vkb of the N900 at first, but now I can't type one char on the vkb.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
To confirm, what do you think you know about Lankku's hardware? Is there any evidence (for or against) that it has the same hardware as Dali, without a keyboard and (according to the above) a worse camera?
I've seen the device that K123 had. I just know what it looks like. I wish I knew what LCD/AMOLED it has, what SoC it has, how much RAM it has etc. But can't tell from a couple of photos unfortunately. =(

But yeah, we know Dali has a 12MP camera. (as the teaser video even showed) We also know the test Lankku device which K123 had just a few weeks ago had 8MP AF camera that can do 720p video recording and not 1080p. He also confirmed with a Nokia senior person that it has WVGA resolution screen. K123 however weren't sure what SoC was inside it and just assumed it was single core. He also did not believe his test device had the "special" Haptic technology that zehjotkah mentioned. He told me that he didn't notice it if it did and that there could be missing features in the test device. (as it's still months before its release)

Also, knowing that test device could only do 720p videos, having a WVGA res screen, using a MicroSIM and a lower spec 8MP camera module (compared to the N8's large 12MP sensor) isn't giving us a lot of hope in terms of its hardware being a market leader upon release.

All I can hope is that the Lankku test device that K123 had few weeks ago is a super duper preliminary prototype hardware and the "real" thing is something much more stellar. (such as qHD or 720p LCD, STE U8500 and having an extra MicroSD slot in addition to its 64GB internal storage)

Originally Posted by generationally View Post
So maybe the physical appearance of Dali just doesn't seem cutting-edge enough now?
Not so sure about that. Heck, even my Apple preaching friends were all very impressed by the design of Dali from the old leaked photos of it. Simply put, Dali looked great then and still does right now imo.

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-06-13 at 11:31.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Not so sure about that. Heck, even my Apple preaching friends were all very impressed by the design of Dali from the old leaked photos of it. Simply put, Dali looked great then and still does right now imo.
I also like Dali and definitely prefer a hw keyboard. I was just thinking that Nokia needs to bring something unique to the market from design point-of-view in order to stand out. When keyboard is closed, Dali does seem to resemble N8 and E7 which are products of the 'old' Nokia. Nokia needs to get rid of the old image and be seen as fresh again.

Design is absolutely Nokia's strenght imo.

I think Nokia and Apple are the only ones that make phones that as pure design and material wise actually look like they cost +500 euros. HTC has no design department, materials used are usually nice, Samsung makes great hw put to plastic non interesting shells.

The absolutely last thing i'm worried about N9 is design.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikrohr View Post
Nice use of photoshop there. The concept GUI itself looks very bland thought (no offense), so it could use some enhancements; it reeks all kinds of Symbian vibes that are not good.

What I expect from the upcoming Meego Phone, is that every icon/tile/symbol should be dynamic and fully resizable according to the users' needs. A 1x1 tile sized weather applet for example should include just the simple shortcut and current weather, when 1x2 should have the weather, location and symbol to show whether if it's sunny or cloudy etc. 1x4 sized icon again could include the weather forecasts for 1-3 days OR current wind directions and accurate forecast to upcoming 24 hours. User could determine the desired size and position by 1st holding down the icon for some time and then resizing/moving it with two fingers gesture.

This list of apps-menu again should able to group the icons and show, what apps are currently running and what apps are the most used; the more you use the app, the higher position it gets from the list, and so on. The running apps should also be put to the top and seperated with some negative space or horizontal line or other form.

The device should not limit what user can do with it. Fully customizable device really gives us the desired unique Meego experience.

That's my two cents.

ps. I might do a photoshop prototype from this. We'll see.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikorkala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by LTman View Post
this thread rocks
Actually this thread sucks.

There are any new posts anymore related to topic. However, still I NEED to lurk this thread. I'm so sick to see/hear/taste/smell etc. all leaks/announcements as soon as possible.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
After all buzz about the N9 i really hope we don’t get disappointed when it get announced.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikorkala View Post
Nice use of photoshop there. The concept GUI itself looks very bland thought (no offense), so it could use some enhancements; it reeks all kinds of Symbian vibes that are not good.
Well, according the the teaser video and the "actual" photos of the Lankku test device I have seen, the icons and its layout looks the same as that pic. There is no fancy customization in Harmattan used in Lankku according to K123. I doubt it would change drastically now.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, according the the teaser video and the "actual" photos of the Lankku test device I have seen, the icons and its layout looks the same as that pic. There is no fancy customization in Harmattan used in Lankku according to K123. I doubt it would change drastically now.
Yup, ofcourse; the project has reached the point when they're not making concepts anymore, but finishing the actual products. I really hope Nokia would release this thing properly, and not think of it as just one sidekick technology project.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland