Hello everyone,

Been looking at both the N800 and N810 for a while now and I'm still debating which to get.

The major differences to me are the price, keyboard and the transflective screen. GPS I'm not too sure I'll need (btw are there monthly rate associated with it?) and the memory I can either make do with the built in 2gb or get a 2gb card for $20.

What is everyone's opinion? I plan to use it as an alternative to my desktop and an alternative to buying a laptop. Is the keyboard and transflective screen worth the extra $200? Or would I be able bare the onscreen board and get a bt kb for larger typing needs?

Opinions appreciated.

N800 vs N810

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
At the price the N800 is going for now? The N810 is a joke. :P

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
810 don't have transflective screen, sorry. Only high lighting.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I have both, and adore the N810... I guess I'm just a keyboard person.

The smaller size make a much bigger difference than I thought, too. The thumbboard is not a replacement for a BT keyboard if you were thinking of it for lots of typing, but it is much better than the on screen typing on the N800... they are really cheap right now, though.

I already have a dedicated gps, so don't really need n810. Value-wise, you should compare: n800 ($200) + bt kb ($30) + dedicated gps ($150) = ($380) vs. n810 ($430). Not much difference, as far as I can see. BTW you should try gps. Aside from n800, it is the most useful thing I have ever bought. I got it on BF last year, and take it whereever I travel to prevent me from getting lost.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I think one has to consider the difference between using the thumb board on the 810 and using a BT keyboard. In order to use a BT keyboard you're going to have to set it up on a table and it's a lot less lot convenient than just leaning back in a comfy coffee house chair and tapping away, or popping it out to take some quick notes while standing. If you're planning on using it on a table top for the most part, the BT keyboard is obviously recommended, but the 810 keyboard is great for just light text entry in most environments.

The screen on the 810 is very nice. I never had an 800 so I can't compare, but it's as good as any I've had on any handheld device. It's bright and crisp, and visible in direct sunlight.

The GPS is a waste at this point. It adds almost no value. But no, there is no monthly charge for it yet - there will be a monthly or annual charge with the routing feature (which I think will include traffic as well) but if you're not going to use that feature you won't have to pay extra. But why even have a GPS if it doesn't do routing? Well, I suppose there will be some third-party apps like Maemo Mapper that can take advantage of it.

But if it's a laptop replacement you're looking for, pwsn, you might be better served by the Eee PC. That seems much more likely to meet your needs than the n800/810 which are really more web and entertainment devices than laptop replacement machines.

Last edited by weatherman; 2007-12-01 at 23:24.

I agree with weatherman. If you want to do alot of typing the N8*0 isn't good enough.

Although I look a bit different on typing a bit (EMail or IM) in a coffee house. What's wrong with the OnScreenKeyboard? I'm really fast on that. Of course I never held a N810 in my hands and perhaps the keyboard is THE THING. But I doubt it... The only problem is that it takes up all of the screen. But with practice you can use the Stylus keyboard with thumbs almost as fast as on the full OSK.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I think one has to consider the difference between using the thumb board on the 810 and using a BT keyboard. In order to use a BT keyboard you're going to have to set it up on a table and it's a lot less lot convenient than just leaning back in a comfy coffee house chair and tapping away, or popping it out to take some quick notes while standing. If you're planning on using it on a table top for the most part, the BT keyboard is obviously recommended, but the 810 keyboard is great for just light text entry in most environments.
I can use the virtual thumbboard on the N800 in almost exactly the same way as one would use the hardware thumbboard on a N810. The only downside is that on the N800 I can only see the text I'm typing (or is that perchance an upside?). For serious typing on the N810, you'd need a BT keyboard as well, which makes that hardware key-monstrosity doubly redundant. But hey! whatever floats your boat...

The screen on the 810 is very nice. I never had an 800 so I can't compare, but it's as good as any I've had on any handheld device. It's bright and crisp, and visible in direct sunlight.
I heard this rumour that it's not true that the N810 has a transflexive screen, only a brighter backlight to make it look better in daylight. If so: Har, har, har on your superior screen!

The GPS is a waste at this point. It adds almost no value. But no, there is no monthly charge for it yet - there will be a monthly or annual charge with the routing feature (which I think will include traffic as well) but if you're not going to use that feature you won't have to pay extra. But why even have a GPS if it doesn't do routing? Well, I suppose there will be some third-party apps like Maemo Mapper that can take advantage of it.
Again, Bluetooth to the rescue! Nobody wants a built-in GPS, if an external BT unit can be had that's small enough to hang from your keys.

But if it's a laptop replacement you're looking for, pwsn, you might be better served by the Eee PC. That seems much more likely to meet your needs than the n800/810 which are really more web and entertainment devices than laptop replacement machines.
Or... a Psion Netbook:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12480

Better hurry though. AFAIK, there are only two left.

Great machines, but it helps if you already have non-cardbus PCMCIA ethernet and WiFi adapters lying around.

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
But why even have a GPS if it doesn't do routing?
To have a location sensitive map? Even bare coordinate data were very useful when combined with a paper map, and all you could expect from early GPS devices.

I dunno, for me a laptop replacement that I can put in my pocket is key.

n810 is cool, but currently the n800 price is such a steal.