Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I highly doubt a fall would break it. Nokia products are known for being sturdy, and I know first-hand that the designers and engineers take pride in that fact. I cannot see Nokia releasing a convex screen unless they had stress-tested it severely (as we did all devices when I worked there). This is a novelty that will get a great deal of attention so it will have to surprise people.
I have no idea why people think Nokia plans to release this phone without it being sturdy, especially with all this durable material mentioned being used...maybe that's a diamond coated curved screen and a graphene body. Who knows, but that sure as hell will be more durable than any other phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxMurdakillxx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
curved screen could just as easily help reduce stress concentrations and help deflect the force from a fall...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
i already apologized, K123 was kind enough to show me the device a few weeks ago.

however it is still my prerogative to be disgusted with the direction they are choosing to go. instead of trailblazing they wanna be an also-ran and follow apple. all well and good, but not for me.

its sad that i have build my own phone because no manufacturer is willing to support a discerning high end consumer.

still, its absurd that maemo has been reduced to pink shells and gimmicks, without replacing the n900, at the very least updating the device.

but again the fcc docs will be unlocked soon, thursday. so im gonna go back in the background. yes, im still reading the whole thread
Whatever are you going on about???? Please post us all the information on the phone you build when it is ready.....

Actually a convex glass has a higher pressure resistance than a non-convex one. It's why they use them in diver's watches, even though they're much more expensive to produce.

On the other hand the glass on the N9 doesn't really seem to be convex to me... I think it's just raised out of the case but still flat not convex.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Short recap:

Lankku - N9, consumer device, black, pink, blue. Harmattan OS ('maemo 6', not real MeeGo).

Dali - 'N950', developer device, keyboard. Not for sale. Harmattan.

These two should be made public in a few hours.

Ilmatar - Nokia real MeeGo user interface made to look like Harmattan, apparently depends on how successful N9 gets.

All this - maybe true, maybe not...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Actually a convex glass has a higher pressure resistance than a non-convex one. It's why they use them in diver's watches, even though they're much more expensive to produce.

On the other hand the glass on the N9 doesn't really seem to be convex to me... I think it's just raised out of the case but still flat not convex.
In the image below it's clearly convex:

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Why did he cover part of the background with black rectangle?

Is there anything there of particular interest?

Embedded movie projector?

Posts: 181 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bahrain

The Following User Says Thank You to Alee For This Useful Post:
WOW, that's awesome! I can't wait for the stuff INSIDE this shape!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Hopefully they test unplugging and re-connecting the usb and hdmi cables a few thousand times too
I'm sure the screen will be fine.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland