Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Kangal

I think you misunderstand the way that the Android UI works.

Android supports devices from smart-watches to TVs using a single UI stack since version 1.0. I do not believe that targeting 800x400 is productive for apps that are intended to be portable from the get-go. Targeting a chosen resolution will lead to developers targeting that resolution and apps that fail to display properly on other resolutions.

Don't believe what you've heard, developers are lazy.

The problems that you cited from your $150 tablet is most likely due to apps that are poorly designed and as such resize improperly. You may be interested in reading this:
http://developer.android.com/guide/p...s_support.html

The UI elements are designed precisely to deal with different screen sizes, provided that you adhere to correct design principals (eg. screen density, correct use, no absolute positioning, high resolution rasters, etc) to ensure that they resize properly on the target device.

The main benefit for understanding this is supporting hundreds of different devices without having to test each one specifically. Yes, like HTML web pages, it can be done.

With an OS like android, choosing a specific resolution as a general 'target' is not a strategy that lends it self well to such a diverse collection of devices.

As a developer (who has done UI work, and is very good at it) I wholly agree with the Android engineers choice, and think that the new fragment system and animation framework is quite a good solution for supporting many devices -- it's a wonderful piece of innovation. I just would have implemented it slightly differently to make it easier for developers to use, and made it prettier in the process.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Google has acquired SageTV:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/18/s...top-google-tv/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiUzS5s7jps

Google TV may get an upgraded TV experience to compliment its Android apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Let's not forget that there are many cheaper android phones running resolutions smaller than 800x480 (480x320). Android works well over a variety of screen resolutions and dpi.

@ kangal

Although you've had some issues with your herotab, keep in mind it's a cheap tablet (no offense). My S7, which is a cheaper tablet, also has some issues. As I mentioned, the accelerometer axis are messed up. That results in some apps working well, and other not working at all.

From what I've read, this may be related to most apps being programed for portrait being the default usage state (phones) versus the S7, landscape as the default. However, and perhaps dan can chime in, this isn't an issue with the Samsung Tab.

So, is it lazy app programmers, or is it lazy (or inexperienced) manufacturers?

The default launcher on the S7 will screw up any other launchers unless you actually uninstall it.

What I'm suggesting is the some of the issues you've seen may not necessarily be due to Android issues as such, but may be more related to poor programming/tweaking/drivers on the part of the manufacturer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Well all, my time here are TMO online will be coming to a close within the next little while. I have made the hard (and somewhat unnerving) decision to put the time that I use toward other endeavors, and as my time is a premium cannot do both. As this is my only outlet for online socializing, I shall gently fade into oblivion.

I'm not gone quite yet, though. I will continue to post, but the rate of my posts will steadily decline. When the time comes, I will slip away quietly without much fanfare or ado.

I have really enjoyed posting, and chatting with you all on a variety of subjects over the years. Thanks to this forum, I have been exposed to the world of mobile and new perspectives that I would otherwise have been blind to, have made friends, and hopefully helped the community in some small part.

I wish you all the very best of success, and hope that you go forth on our journeys with love in your hearts.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Hey guys the Google Nexus One is only 260 dollars unlocked which is an incredible value compared to other devices in this price-range. I'm seriously considering buying one. Sure it isn't cutting edge but it would still make a good device.
http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-O...ef=pd_cp_cps_1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Captaim you'll be missed.
And, if I'm using a Tab now, it's *your* fault (and Dan's)!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Well all, my time here are TMO online will be coming to a close within the next little while. I have made the hard (and somewhat unnerving) decision to put the time that I use toward other endeavors, and as my time is a premium cannot do both. As this is my only outlet for online socializing, I shall gently fade into oblivion.

I'm not gone quite yet, though. I will continue to post, but the rate of my posts will steadily decline. When the time comes, I will slip away quietly without much fanfare or ado.

I have really enjoyed posting, and chatting with you all on a variety of subjects over the years. Thanks to this forum, I have been exposed to the world of mobile and new perspectives that I would otherwise have been blind to, have made friends, and hopefully helped the community in some small part.

I wish you all the very best of success, and hope that you go forth on our journeys with love in your hearts.

Best of luck in your new endeavors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
260 is good for brand new.
Keep in mind all of those last-gen devices are losing value really fast like the early snapdragon ones (Nexus One, Desire, Xperia X10) and the motorolas (Droid, Milestone, Milestone XT705something) and even the Galaxy Tab (the original 7 incher). The only last-gen device that isn't losing as much value is the Nokia N900 (thanks to all of you)!

I missed out on getting a Desire Z for $195 on ebay last week. I would've sold my i9000 before it lost most of its value and contended with that device for another year until a decent dual-core qwerty device debuts.

CC, I forbid you from leaving! I'm going to find you and handcuff you to a computer, hahahahaha

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Some info on the Huawei Mediapad:

here

Looks pretty good, other than battery may be a little off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The only really reliable ways to back-up the Tab are either 1) Titanium Backup (and you CAN use dropbox, if you don't want to store onto the SD card... but if I'm not mistaken, it still needs space on the SD card to store it even if it's temporarily). or 2) ClockworkMod (after converting to ext4 from rfs)--but definitely needs the SD card.

Alternatively, mind you I've never done this though, I think you might be able to use adb to create dd images on the SD card, then transfer them to your PC.
I take that back! Over this weekend I finally took the plunge (after seeing Heimdall 1.2.0 released with PIF support among other improvements) and now I can finally proclaim that I have, in fact, re-imaged my Samsung Galaxy Tab after first making a full solid nandroid-style image back-up. It's PERFECT and backs up all 10 partitions plus data files. It's still possible to brick, but far far less likely now. Check out the roto-backup method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850359

Make sure you have installed a copy of the Android SDK (be sure to install the platform tools and all), a copy of Heimdall (the Linux version worked FLAWLESSLY to detect and work with my Tab--EVERY--TIME! ...no stupid "special" [read: retahded] drivers like in Windows) at the ready and a stock image (depends on which device you have, I've got a Verizon SCH-I800 myself) in case you need to restore everything and remember that you CAN still brick the Galaxy Tab... but now I can feel far more braver doing so. Also--be sure to back-up with Titanium Backup to make life easy in case you try a new ROM out or something. Once you've done all that, head over to that thread I posted above and issue the adb commands to create firmware images of your current system that you can use Heimdall to flash back onto the device in case you REALLY b0rked it up.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, I'm not responsible. Everything I say is utter HACK and it's probably total luck that anything I do manages to work. Fair warning.

Also... WHOO! Nice to have BT HID support (BT keyboards and BT mice) FINALLY on my Verizon Galaxy Tab, plus the freedom now to finally go all-out and try out Maemo, Honeycomb, etc. and know that I can re-partition and re-flash back to a saved state with impunity. ...at least, until I've truly f***ed it up for good. heheh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy